3d-printable custom type balls for IBM Selectric typewriters

Originally published at: 3d-printable custom type balls for IBM Selectric typewriters | Boing Boing

4 Likes

1857a10a-72be-44bb-8087-4582a5e1f2bd_text

6 Likes

A 3D printed Slazenger 7?
Suspicious.

6 Likes

I mean, I actually have one of those IBMs, in black, salvaged from a skip but in very good condition… Because I have this vague notion of turning it into a BlueTooth keyboard and replace the original cylinder with a modified one that a tablet can stand in.
Not that I have the slightest idea about the how and when so far.

7 Likes

I wish my dad was still around so he could see this. He loved his IBM Selectric, which he kept around to type up cheques long into the computer age. He’d have been delighted with this wonderful thing.

9 Likes

Still have my eye out for the elusive Black Letter ball.

1 Like

A family friend in MD runs a ribbon shop.

3 Likes

I want one in Klingon.

4 Likes

I have a symbol typeball and the little card that shows which keys map to which symbols. It has neat things like separate upper parts and lower parts of integral signs so that you can have an equation with a large integral.

8 Likes

Could see this mapped to The Songwriters Font project Songwriters Fonts gives you the opportunity to type in the handwriting of David Bowie and John Lennon

2 Likes

That’s Comic Sans on the ball in the photo, isn’t it? [Sideshow Bob stepping on a rake shuddering sigh]

1 Like

I knew I shouldn’t have thrown out my card deck tilt-rotate code conversion. Granted, it worked with EBCDIC, not ASCII, but I knew I would regret tossing it.

2 Likes

People still use cheques?

I am still looking for a portable IBM selectric iii 3 correcting typewriter that I can afford. This makes me want one more.

There’s something about the haptics of that keyboard, different from either manual or other electric typewriters. And the ka-Thunk sound of the ball dropping back. Oh, the memories!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.