Daktilo turns your computer into an unsociably-loud but satisfying typewriter

Originally published at: Daktilo turns your computer into an unsociably-loud but satisfying typewriter | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Aesthetics, plain and simple.

While I nominally have no preference on what I type on, I do kind of like the semi-clicky-keyboard I have at home.

(I’ve used everything from a venerable IBM “M” keyboard to one of those flimsey silicon roll up mats to the ‘chicklet’ keyboards on the old Timex-SInclairs to the current lenovo T16, and everything in between. My blood- and toner- stained nubs don’t really care as long as the press registers and doesn’t repeat.)

1 Like

Sorry, a vibrating transducer will never match the pure sound of metal striking paper.

4 Likes

Now do an emulator for a vintage IBM Selectric, with motor sounds.

8 Likes

I must be in the minority - I hate the clikety-clak of old typewriters. I hated the noise when I was learning to type all those many years ago, and I just don’t get the hype now. I like quiet. eh, to each their own.

1 Like

I would be a little more impressed if there was a softer “thunk” each time the space bar was pressed.

I would be even more impressed if the example in the video was an email that said:

To: larryjohnson@gop.com

Larry,
Consider this my resignation. You and everyone else who works here are, collectively, the dumbest organisation I ever worked for. As a final fck you to you and everyone else, I installed the typewriter feature to every computer in the office. Good luck, dckheads!
Frank
(former) IT Manager

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.