3D printed, slinkoid skull-sculpture

[Permalink]

1 Like

What’s the over under on how long it takes Wayne Coyne to still a USB key inside it and sell it for $200.

1 Like

This 3D printing does blow my mind. How accessible are 3D printers to every day people?

Accessibility varies depending on how deep you want to get into it. Shapeways has some simple creation tools that anybody can use. Then they’ll print it and ship it to you. no techie knowledge required. Just some money :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Skulls are cool. Slinkies are cool. 3D printing is cool. 3D printed skull slinky? Straight from the fridge, daddy-o.

3 Likes

As far as owning a 3D printer, I would say they are still a little pricy and very fiddly. You really need to be a tinkerer or hardcore hobbyist to really enjoy them.

And if you want to create anything more than things based on basic shapes you are going to have to learn some software for creating the models. The best very basic 3D CAD app I have tried is TinkerCAD, but it is very basic, it is owned by AutoCAD and there is a free online basic AutoCAD123D app that is just a bit more complicated than TinkerCAD but also more powerful of course.

Also, you can checkout thingiverse.com for pre-made models.

I would suggest either some place like shapeways (although they come with some problems themselves) or searching around for a library or maker/hacker space that has one you can try out. That would be best case, get something from thingiverse and take it to a local maker space and print it out, you will get a real feel for how accessible it is.

Also, Make Magazine has a very good 3D printer review and buyers guide issue out that is worth checking out at a library or you can buy it directly from them or maybe a bookstore.

2 Likes

Oh thank you so much for all that feed back. I will be sure to check out make magazine.

I’d actually like to know how to slice an object into a spiral in ZBrush. Maybe I’ll go ask at
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?2-ZBrush-Main-Forum

1 Like

Oh, I just happened upon this place:

Which seems to be a website were people who own 3d printers list themselves and then if you want something 3d printed you might be able to find a local person to print it for you. Not sure how well populated it is, but I thought I would let you know.

I ran into them via a local makers group I was browsing so I think at least some of the people are also into community maker space type activities and would probably be nice people to visit and see how accessible 3d printing is for you if you don’t have a more official community makerspace around your area.

So far I have found the maker community to be very welcoming and I’m a borderline agoraphob.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.