Get creating with this 3D printing starter bundle, now under $220

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/09/get-creating-with-this-3d-printing-starter-bundle-now-under-220.html

1 Like

Does anyone know if the software they refer to “as included” has a MacOS version or is just Windows. Thanks.

Don’t know, but you can use whatever CAD you like, and tons of free slicers have plugins that support sparkmaker.

1 Like

It’s not cad, (both good and bad points,) but blender is free and cross-platform and has .stl export built-in.

Depending on whose store you want to support, be sure to check the manufacturer’s site for similar package deals… …

I don’t see where it says it includes any software. If you want to modify an existing file you would need a slicer program & those come in Mac, 'Doze and Linux flavors. If you want to create your own designs you would need a CAD program.
Keep in mind that SLA printers in general create objects that are quite small; according to the specs this one prints objects 3.9"x2.2"x0.5" in dimension… the detail is quite astounding, though. They are also smelly & messy. They are very easy to use.
If you want to make things larger than, say, D&D figurines, FDM (filament) printers are the way to go.

ETA: What @Tyroney said…

It was mentioned in the video at about the 1:42 mark.

eventually I found this at under downloads at their website image

not sure if there is other software, or just that slicing program, or what.

I’m a relative newbie at 3d printing i know, but i’m not sure reccomending SLA printing to absolute newbies is a good idea…

I only started a few months ago with 3d printing, but chose to start with the easier/less-messy tech first whilst i got the hang of the software…

4 months later i’m now considering one, but imho i still barely know what i’m doing!

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

Ah, ok. I didn’t watch the video, just read the BB article.
Been using Macs for decades, so I know the frustration of software being 'doze only/crippled version of 'doze/etc.
Kudos to @tyroney for finding those files. Might be worth taking a look at. I mainly use Cura, but just started dabbling with the Prusa slicer. It has some nice features.

I’ve never used an SLA machine, but it looks to be pretty much plug 'n play.

The slicer tweaks can be a bit tedious. One thing I found is doubling the wall thickness & lessening the infill makes a world of difference re: part strength.
What really gets interesting is making changes in Marlin.

I won’t get one, mainly because the chemicals would raise hob with my allergies. As it is, I only use PLA.
I barely know what I’m doing, either, but it’s fun finding out how to do things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.