4 Bluetooth headphone deals to please any audiophile

Ah, fair enough.

I see Bluetooth headphones as an implicitly mobile option - which assumes:

1. Closed headphones only
  2. A mobile source, likely without a dedicated headphone amp - probably a phone
    3, At best a high-quality AAC or MP3 source file; MAYBE FLAC, but unlikely
  3. As you say, some kind of background noise
    On that basis, good Bluetooth headphones are as good an option for even the most discerning ear.

Would anyone use a Bluetooth headset in a reference quality audio setup? No, and there’s a reason I use my Senn 650s over my B&W PX when i’m at my desk. But for their context, I would say the PX are as strong an option as any, with the added convenience of wireless and noise cancelling (which very definitely DOES degrade the sound quality, and is a lesson in compromise).

I used to be a gigging musician, and had a pretty good ear myself, but I’ve stood at the front of too many gigs to be reliable these days…

For some everyday use, I find bluetooth to be pretty handy - I’ve snagged ear bud, IEM and headphone cords on way too many immovable objects like door handles to count, causing damage to the earphones and headphone jacks. Also, yanking custom molded IEMs out of your ears by having them pulled out by a door knob you are walking past at speed hurts. Doesn’t happen with Bluetooth earphones.

I somehow bought the Cowin E7’s on sale at amazon for $11 early this year. When I first got them I thought they sounded like total crap - not even $11 good. After a fair bit of playing they have gotten much, much better. Not sure I’d pay $67 for them, having not listened to other $67 bluetooth headphones, but you could probably do worse.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.