40% of Scottish inmates drank Buckie, a caffeinated wine made by monks, before they got arrested

I am always blown away at how popular rum and coke is overseas. Almost like beer here. Sold in 12 oz cans and for cheap.

1 Like

“I’m not sure what’s in it,
Apart from caffeine,
Despite having drunk it
Since I was 14!”-
“Buckfast Powersmash” by Alestorm (yes, most of their Pirate Metal songs are about alcohol, including “Rum”, “Drink”, and, curiously, “Surf Squid Warfare”. WARNING: Do not play " F**ked With An Anchor" really loudly in public unless on headphones with no concern about giggling).

1 Like

I was introduced to Buckie by a mate who grew up in Glasgow (although most of her Scottish pals look down on it as a drink for ‘neds’). I’ve found that a small bottle shared between 3-4 people on the way to a gig puts you in a perfect mood for dancing, drunk enough to not care what you look like, and enough caffeine to make you energetic. The same friend also introduced me to “Bucstasy”, which is buckie with a few (ecstasy/mdma) pills mixed in.
Of course, what works for dancing for some people also works for fighting with others. So I’d bet that quite a lot of these people who’re in prison drank the buckie and then hit someone with the empty bottle.

I’ve been to Buckfast abbey a couple of times. Nice place to stop off if you’re driving to/from Cornwall.

2 Likes

It’s not cheap. Costs the same as a bottle of nice Rioja. Cheapest booze per unit is probably the white ‘ciders’ - pulse, white storm, omega, etc (which I maintainmust be made of onions, because there’s no fucking way that shit has been near an apple).

6 Likes

Like I said it’s cheap in the sense of bang for the buck. The ABV is slightly higher than a cheap wine. And the caffeine and other junk means it’ll get you more fucked up for your buck.

To my memory, at least in Ireland it skirted some of the alcohol taxes and had formerly been significantly cheaper.

Oddly enough that wasn’t the case by the time tabloid media decided it was worse than teens with knives.

Same element happens in the US. Natty Daddy might cost a dollar more that Colt 45. But the Natty has a much higher ABV. So it’s a cheaper way to get drunk in the end. As a result Natty Daddy is the top selling value malt liquor product in the US.

2 Likes

Ah, the old “wreck the hoose juice”. It’s a terrible combination- all the caffeine of 10 cans of coke, and the alcohol of eight and a half shots of vodka in one bottle.

The thing is, It’s difficult to be sure that Buckie causes any of this terrible antisocial behaviour, but there’s a pretty strong correlation there.

3 Likes

I’ve known for some time that I never wanted to try that stuff, courtesy of these brave researchers.

1 Like

I think its the same as any other alcoholic drink. It doesn’t cause anything that wasn’t already there, but it might remove inhibitions.

1 Like

Asda own-brand sherry is the same ABV and size, and a pound cheaper. Get into “British fortified wines” (what used to be called “British sherry” until the Spanish justifiably kicked up a stink) and you can get a litre at the same strength for less than £6. Or if you’re prepared to go slightly over £6, you can get a 75cl bottle of port (ABV 20%).

1 Like

It takes at least two bottles of port to summon Satan though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.