Glenlivet's marketing stunt: whiskey in lozenge form

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/05/soylent-brown.html

5 Likes

Marketing exec: Young people like to eat Tide pods, right? Well…

38 Likes

Point taken, but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say these are not being marketed to the whiskey-sipping connoisseur.

20 Likes

Sigh, so now you’re telling me that I have to ethically source my whiskey too?

3 Likes

Looking into it further, these don’t actually contain just whisky (no E when it comes from Scotland, please).

They’re a range of cocktails in silly pod form, which is still gimmicky but less odd.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/the-glenlivet-unveil-innovative-capsule-collection-of-glassless-cocktails/

5 Likes

Sorry to burst their lozenge, but haven’t chocolates and other candies containing/surrounding alcohol been around for decades?

27 Likes

That sounds awful.

3 Likes

Viral Marketing campaign assessment: success!

Sigh.

Good luck. Basically every pot still north of Hadrian’s Wall is owned either by Diagio or InBev. These guys are the small fish.

6 Likes

If they are such a bad idea, why bother with a rant? They will die a cold death much faster if you ignore them, not by bringing attention to them.

4 Likes

I was grousing along the same lines, but I suppose posting this on The Boing might actually cost The Glenlivet some market share?

5 Likes

It’s so fucking ridiculous, it’s near impossible to pass up the opportunity to mock this nonsense.

7 Likes

Those aren’t for the dishwasher?

Never mind…

6 Likes

I hear tell they can put rum in a cake. A cake god damn it!

17 Likes

twenty or so are independent–

5 Likes

He stamped his feet. “No one is allowed to enjoy the thing I don’t like!”

5 Likes

Um, a capsule and a lozenge are not the same.
Were these lozenges I could probably melt them
down and make them into cool shapes.

8 Likes

I agree that having a bad idea die because it is a bad idea is the best outcome. This is what should have happened to the bad idea that was powdered alcohol. Unfortunately scare tactics and overreacting, clueless lawmakers legislated powdered alcohol out of existence.

2 Likes

Liquor suppositories! Now that would be some original marketing.

4 Likes

I can see some uses for these. Have you ever tried to smuggle a bottle of alcohol in a concert/festival/sportsball venue? It becomes much easier if you get rid of the bottle.

4 Likes

11 Likes