YouTuber's whisky experiment gets a very crabby response from his whisky connoisseur brother Ralfy

Originally published at: YouTuber's whisky experiment gets a very crabby response from his whisky connoisseur brother Ralfy | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Dark Vodka” just might have some currency in occult circles. Watch it start trending now.

3 Likes

As well as the actual video content, the contrast in these guys’ video backgrounds/sets could not be more stark, either.

(@orenwolf post’s comments link goes back to post again)

3 Likes

I’ve never seen Ralfy as I completely avoid Youtube whiskey connoisseurs, but he clearly knows what he is talking about and his assessment is 100% accurate, although I would be interested to know what aging or caramel color compounds may have been low molecular weight enough to make it through the water purifier (please don’t ever do this at home), especially since it is operating at a dramatically higher temperature than a whiskey still and therefore probably has character that would not be present in “new make” whiskey spirit. I especially like his take on the whole gimmick being an opportunity to further develop the palate and understand consumer taste better.

@bashful, you jest, but…

And it’s marketed to exactly the audience you suspect.

Once more, please do not attempt home distillation, especially with an electric water vaporizer. You can tell by the volume recovered that it is operating at far too high a temperature for spirits (which is also why I suspect there may be post-distillation compounds recovered), has exposed electrical components (boom!), no over pressure venting and no true condenser (though if the heat sink is calibrated for water, it’s probably adequate, but again it’s also an electrical component, so boom!). 99% of the home distilling equipment available is deadly in its design (lack of venting, inadequate condensers, inability to safely discharge vapor, numerous spark sources, etc) and even with properly designed equipment, you are still creating an explosive gas that should only be produced in a properly classified environment (like the classification for the interior of a gas station holding tank). There is no shortage of stories online of idiots killing themselves and burning their house down.

7 Likes

My favorite experiment with Whiskey, drink it and see if it works.

11 Likes

I usually follow with a second experiment to see if another glass will undo the effects of the first

7 Likes

An interesting idea, to market “whisky flavoring” minus the alcohol. It would essentially be a combination of extracts from the charred oak barrels and the mash (depending on what kind of whisky/whiskey you were making-- bourbon, highland or Islay Scotch, etc.)

“Flavored” vodkas always kind of bothered me-- the point of vodka is to remove the flavor, the word itself is literally a variation on the word “water” in Slavic tongues, “special water” or a diminutive of water. Adding flavor means you’re making some other kind of spirit, like how gin is just a mostly plain alcohol flavored with juniper berries.

2 Likes

the etymology of aqvavit and whisk(e)y are “life water” or “water of life” in different languages

1 Like

I have zero knowledge of whiskey and never touch the staff (instant migraines the few times I’ve tried it). But I’ve loved watching Clive’s experiments, and Ralphy’s very serious follow up when Clive pointed them out. Aren’t they brothers or something? I thought Clive said that at one point, maybe I misheard or misunderstood.

2 Likes

I only watched the Ralfy video, but he said a few times Clive was his brother, who has a history of attempting to “take the piss out of me,” but it’s “fair play.”

2 Likes

Indeed, they are brothers, have a gander at this one… internet gold…

6 Likes

Reproducibility…for science!

3 Likes

Vodka isn’t a neutral spirit to begin with. Vodka can be distilled from several different grains and vegetables. Each imparts distinct characteristics to the distilled spirit. It’s not like rectified spirit (such as Everclear) where the intention is to completely remove any taste other than the ethanol.

Most off-the-shelf flavored vodka is poor to vile IMHO. But fresh DIY vodka infusions are probably as old as vodka itself and can be delicious. There’s a little restaurant in central Austin named Russian House that serves delicious Russian and Ukrainian cuisine and offers a whole menu of infused vodkas. I’m not even much of a vodka drinker but sampling their vodka infusions is like being a kid in a candy store.

2 Likes

I’m not necessarily opposed to them, just don’t like calling them vodka. My mother used to make her own infusions too, and she would call them by the flavor-- “banana liqueur” for example. I do know some Russians who turn up their noses at the idea of flavored vodka, however they turn up their noses at whisky too.

1 Like

OK, I have one of these air distillers. My first effort was to pass a gallon of white cask (cardboard box) wine through to extract the alcohol - which it did fine but still left an aftertaste of grapey wine. Cheap enough to throw away. Next time I brewed up a proper sugar batch with turbo yeast and after a few days had a starter at about 18% which went through the distiller to extract a 40% clean spirit. I could have passed it through again to approach 70% but chose not too. I added some botanicals aged it a bit and made a passable Gin. But in the end I confirmed that I’m not a spirit drinker - got enough problems with beer -though I will have another go at rice wine and or Sake. BTW, the Vietnamese make a great Vodka courtesy of tuition from their Russian allies. But no potatoes comrade - this is made with rice!

1 Like

I have successfully consumed the water of life, so you may call me Muad’Dib (or Usul, your choice).

2 Likes

I’m having a glass of Belle Meade life water right now

1 Like

Kinda misses the point of both bad and good whiskeys… the feeling in your mouth and the warm glow of intoxication… and the flavors that linger.

Like grappa it is often misrepresented as a pure alcohol but I guess you have to try the good stuff which can be amazing… give it a shot :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.