$400bn utopian city to be imagined being built somewhere in America

I live in NC and my county has a density of around 1.33 people per acre. I’m not sure why you’d want to put this in Appalachia, somewhere with even lower population density. I suppose it could become something, but it’s kind of like Ashville. Without the Biltmore estate and other wealthy people that moved to the area what is there? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful area, but in terms of having a productive business base it’s not nearly the same as the other major cities in NC.

I don’t want to stereotype the local mountain folk anymore than the general population already does. But I will say that tourism is a thing and for the most part everyone enjoys it. It’s just when the out of towners decide to show up, stay, and gentrify your area is when it becomes a problem.

1 Like

Because the “poors” won’t fight back, and the elected will do back flips to have it in their back yard.

15 Likes

People did shit well before the gentrifiers showed up… there is a deep history and culture there, which as a resident of NC, you should be aware of, but you seem pretty eager to dismiss wholesale…

https://www.southernhighlandguild.org/folkartcenter/

Sure. People love not being able to afford rent and having a bunch of rich, entitled assholes show up and to shit all over them in their low-paying service sector jobs… that’s what life is all about! /s

10 Likes

Reminds me of this absolutely incredible, totally not the setting for a horror movie, housing development that I keep getting fb ads for.

People often wonder what actually sets Hendrick Farm apart. Step foot in the neighbourhood and it will immediately be clear that something feels different

hmm maybe it feels like living in an empty field in quebec

who am I kidding this website is beautiful, and the marketing is working. the next time I message you guys it will be from my stately new townhome, and I won’t be me

9 Likes

And all those country people moving to cities should stay where they are?

6 Likes

Looks like a land-locked version of Seahaven1).
If I had that kind of money I’d hire Jim Carrey to take a stroll through the neighbourhood every couple of weeks.

7 Likes

Are they? Anyone is free to move or build anywhere they want*. But if I moved to LA or San Francisco I wouldn’t expect it to be culturally the same as NC. Some people want that change and move, others do not and stay. The same with building a $400bn city in the middle of the rural mountains. Are they planning on asking the local town folk to populate this city?

*granted you legally can and can afford it. Much like I couldn’t afford to live in most of the Californian cities unless my pay somehow tripled.

1 Like

Um… No. That is patently untrue. In addition to actual financial constraints for many people, there are various kinds of regulations that only the wealthier among us can get changed in their favor by bribing local politicians. Only SOME people have that freedom, and it’s a very small slice of humanity that does.

10 Likes

Putting it on the Columbia doesn’t solve the water issue. You need water rights and those cost a whole lot of money. I don’t know anything, really, about getting water if you were to build this in, say, Beckley, WV, but putting it anywhere in the west would be insane.

1 Like

There are no country music venues in NYC. No Chinese restaurants in Appalachia and no bagels in Austin. And it should stay that way!

7 Likes

That looks really cool. What’s it from?

5 Likes

Even then it usually fails. Brasília was a boondoggle that sat mostly empty for decades. It has started to develop organically in recent years as housing demand in Brazil has gone up, but it was a terrible idea to do what they did at the time.

11 Likes

Came here for this.

1 Like

i gotta wonder if those population density numbers include the people living in shelters, on the street, and in campers.

( i suspect it does not )

most days id be happy if they simply did nothing ( except maybe paying their fair share of taxes. ) cause it’s not like they’re just not doing their part, they’re actively working against us

6 Likes

Show that you have White privilege without using those exact words.

9 Likes

$400bn utopian city to be imagined being built somewhere in America

I’m imagining that I’m squatting in it, right now!

3 Likes

Fordlandia was another great idea, kind of like the Pinto of cities

4 Likes

What if they did this by starting seeding a sort of anti-suburb. Small areas that fit into a greater scheme that in theory the next layers would fit over top (some literally some into empty spaces.) Establish a base economy and population before dropping billions and saying live in it my way or else.

1 Like

Brasilia also illustrates another problem with plopping a city down in the middle of nowhere even if you DO bring jobs with it. Land in the middle of nowhere is cheap, and many of the people that come for the jobs, expecially the less well paid secondary and tertiary ones* will choose to live in cheaper abodes outside of your wonderful, planned utopias.

*the government jobs may be well paid, but waitresses at the restauraunts, or the workers at the dry-cleaners etc. are generally not.

5 Likes