$42k Jeff Koons 'balloon dog' accidentally smashed by art gallery visitor

Originally published at: $42k Jeff Koons 'balloon dog' accidentally smashed by art gallery visitor | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This is such a perfect encapsulation of certain aspects of the art world, it reads like satire.
The gallery visitor accidentally destroying the work, the other thinking it must be performance art, and the other wanting to buy the shards. :joy:

44 Likes

Too bad no one made an nft of a screencap of a video…

22 Likes

Why didn’t she glue herself to it like a normal person?

17 Likes

How would we ever know if it was a part of the true Dog?

7 Likes

How much is that window in the doggie?

15 Likes

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume she’s fortunate because the set was insured. I won’t be at all surprised to hear that the insurance company has sued her for the value of the art.

9 Likes

Not so fast!

There are pictures of some of Koons’ legion of balloon dogs being displayed outside, where a gust of wind could easily give it more of a shove than any finger poke.

images

There must be anchor points on the bottom to hold them secure. So why wasn’t that done in this case?

Something smells of fishy shenanigans.

6 Likes

A “touch” knocked it off?

Makes me not want to go to a gallery.

5 Likes

Why don’t they just make another one? /s (sort of)

4 Likes

My first question too. A $42000 piece of art and nobody had attached it with anything? A “tap” knocked it over? Nothing adds up there. I don’t want to assume malice where incompetence is the easier explanation, but damn that is some weapons-grade incompetence.

11 Likes

It’s a good thing that they never serve wine at these art exhibits. One tipsy art critic could cause a lot of damage among all that unsecured expensive art.

Oh wait, they do.

Hm. I’m going to assume that the people who routinely transport and set-up these exhibits are normally pretty good at their jobs.

7 Likes

I was in a small gallery with a bunch of Dale Chihuly glass pieces on pedestals. I inched round with my arms plastered to my sides, and couldn’t wait to get out of there.

9 Likes

My prejudices are showing here. Normally I am very disturbed by artworks being damaged or destroyed. But Jeff Koons? I actually laughed.

10 Likes

Just run another one down the assembly line and set the correct color.

(Has he done a Vantablack one yet?)

9 Likes

jeremyclarkson-ohno-anyway.gif

3 Likes

take my angry updoot

2 Likes

This Balloon Dog is little and was inside the gallery on a pedestal. Click through the link to see it smashed on the floor.

6 Likes

So now it’s Pop Art?

13 Likes

Popped Art

13 Likes