46% of Scots want to separate from the UK; 43% want to remain

There is a net flow of electricity (and of course oil and gas) from the North to the South within the UK.

This is exaggerated at peak times, as the hydro-power and pumped storage plants in Scotland and Wales are used to meet peak demand, including the TV Pickup.

So yes, in the event of the dissolution of the union, then there will be strong incentives to arrange some sort of trade deal fairly quickly.

Interestingly, the Cross-channel interconnectors aren’t actually regulated by the EU, so they could be expected to continue running in the event of Brexit.

You might be able to tell that I’ve done a bit of “Ha Ha, but seriously will the lights go out” research on this.

6 Likes

Not even one true Scotsman joke? What’s wrong with you people?

2 Likes

8 Likes

I thought the same thing, you beat me to it!

And in case anyone here is a fan of Dark Crystal there’s a sequel coming up at the end of the month:

http://www.darkcrystal.com/

3 Likes
4 Likes

Labour, Conservative and the middle ground are just variations on the past. We need to be looking to the future for solutions to our problems, not trying to go back to ‘the good old days’ (which weren’t good, no matter which factions view you believe).

3 Likes

Is this a highlander/lowlander thing?

Which is probably more than can be said for the current Cabinet.

4 Likes

Fewer Conservative seats, Brexit party coalition. Liberal opposition.

Remember how they told the Scots “Your only hope to stay part of the EU is to vote No on Independence and stick with Little Britain.”

Now they’re saying “You fucking well WILL leave the EU and no talk about voting until you’ve been sunk into the North Sea with the rest of us.”

8 Likes

Scotland, Ireland, and Little Britain

2 Likes

I said technically. :wink:

Technically, the United Kingdom is the result of James VI of Scotland becoming James I of England and Ireland too in 1603, and the formal Acts of Union in 1707. England and Scotland, not any other parties.
Interesting point about N.Ireland being the rump of the Kingdom of Ireland, but that feels a bit tenuous to me. :wink:

[ETA: No, I’m wrong about the Kingdom of Ireland. Sorry. Ignore me.]

I could see England and Wales still calling themselves ‘the UK’ after Scotland and (maybe) N.Ireland leave, but there wouldn’t be a historical basis for it. Technically. :wink:

I’m not advocating a return to anything, just suggesting that there’ll tend to be a right wing, a left wing, and parties between. However existing and new groupings evolve, they’ll still fit on the same social and economic spectra.

Do you see it differently?

2 Likes

Does it involve mooning Boris Johnston?

2 Likes

I’m not historian, but according to wikipedia United Kingdom specifically refers to GB+Ireland. England+Scotland was referred to as Great Britain, always (I can’t tell if you’ve edited to reflect this, so apologies if so). So weirdly, no Scotland, still UK, no N. Ireland, no UK!

1 Like

Not exactly, for two reasons. :wink:

1: Physical geography entities (islands)

The largest of the British Isles is ‘Great Britain’. That’s independent of the country or countries occupying the landmass, which has existed since, ooh, the last Ice Age?

2: Sovereign entities (countries)

• Pre-1603: Scotland independent of England and Ireland.
    England and Ireland in personal union (separate countries with the same monarch).
  • 1603: Scotland, England and Ireland all ruled by James VI and I, but formally three separate countries. No country of Great Britain yet!
  • 1706-7 Acts of Union formally unite Scotland with England & Ireland, as two countries with one monarch: Great Britain and Ireland.
  • 1800: Act of Union formally unites Great Britain with Ireland, as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. ‘Great Britain’ the country formally ceases to exist.
  • Irish independence: the Republic of Ireland revokes 1800 Act (as late as the 1960s?), which still applies in N.Ireland. I now agree that makes N.Ireland the rump of that kingdom. I have learned something!

So

• if Scotland leaves, no more country once-called ‘Great Britain’, but still occupying the island called Great Britain!
  • If N.Ireland leaves and Scotland stays, I suppose ‘Great Britain’ could exist again, though ‘United Kingdom (of England and Scotland)’ seems more likely.
  • If both leave, no more UK at all.
  • If Wales leaves… well, we weren’t counted in the name(s) anyway…

Can’t we all just stay in the EU? It’s simpler.

4 Likes

Oh stop it, it’ll all be fine.

Narrator: It won’t be.

6 Likes

Pedantry mode on: the phrase “United Kingdom” (with inconsistent capitalisation) was sometimes used to refer to Great Britain before the union with Ireland: it is so used throughout the Parliament of Scotland’s version of the Act of Union, for example (e.g., article 3: “That the United Kingdom of Great Britain be Represented by one and the same Parliament, to be stiled the Parliament of Great Britain.”)

But it doesn’t seem clear whether it was considered an official title or merely a descriptive phrase.

2 Likes

There were other United Kingdoms in Europe for a while, such as Denmark-Norway (1537-1814) and the Netherlands (1813-39).

1 Like

If Scotland leaves - but they’ll need to get a move on - then at least the UK could take this rare opportunity to rename itself The Q.

The “British Isles” is a political term which I reject and will never use. Geography is politics as much as history is. Ireland is not part of some “British Isles”. The “mainland” from here is Europe.

Irish Independence: there is no such entity as “the republic of Ireland” other than the soccer team. The name of Ireland in English is… “Ireland”. See Article 4 of the constitution:
THE STATE
ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire , or, in the English language, Ireland .
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en#part2

Here’s an example from an EU treaty of Lisbon list of signatories
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A12007L%2FTXT
PREAMBLE

HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF THE BELGIANS,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC,

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF DENMARK,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA,

THE PRESIDENT OF IRELAND,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC,

HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF SPAIN,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA,

HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE GRAND DUKE OF LUXEMBOURG,

THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF HUNGARY,

Lots of countries in the EU are called the republic of wherever, Ireland is not. The soccer team is but the FAI are possibly more incompetent than they are corrupt.

It’s a close run thing though.

2 Likes