475 die of coronavirus in one day in Italy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/18/475-die-of-coronavirus-in-one.html

5 Likes

That’s almost 1000 people dying every 48 hours, just due to covid-19, and getting worse by 20% per day. Unthinkable.

15 Likes

April is a few weeks away, nothing to worry about. /s

186df2ca1fb0b4c010cc7ea157c990d6

32 Likes

His stupidity is literally killing people

30 Likes

48 Likes

BlockquoteThat’s almost 1000 people dying every 48 hours, just due to covid-19, and getting worse by 20% per day. Unthinkable.

This is just for Italy alone.

7 Likes

It is unconscionable that other western countries including the United States are not using this time to build emergency medical facilities and training volunteers to prepare for the coming onslaught.

We’ve been given a horrifying preview of our own immediate future and our government’s reaction is to cut everyone a check.

18 Likes

It’s almost like capitalism is about to eat itself.

14 Likes

Yeah you’d think mass deaths would help put things into perspective. I don’t think most Italians are saying ”if only we all had an extra thousand Euros to spend right now!”

18 Likes

I still want to see projections of short-term deaths and reduced lifespans among the population groups which lose their source of income & go bankrupt or homeless or the like. You would think that would be something much easier to handle ( government UBI checks sent out, enforced moratorium on evictions and foreclosures, etc.).

4 Likes

#ClassAction for gross negligence causing death

3 Likes

Gov: “Here is your thousand dollars, now go build your own dying hole.”

13 Likes

Good luck getting a dying hole for only a thousand bucks when demand skyrockets. Pretty soon all the good dying holes will be bought up by the vulture capitalists.

13 Likes

I don’t have much to add just that it’s incredibly upsetting.

5 Likes

Sure, buy up thousands of holes, then rent them on Die BnB.

11 Likes

It might be also interesting to compare that to the reduced lifespans of coronavirus victims.

Ah, well, one would think that any kind of poverty is pretty easy to handle, after all it just takes a bit of money to cure. But then we found that this is pretty difficult, because those who have it don’t want to give it away, and we want to blame poverty on a lack of character rather than a lack of cash. So don’t hold your breath here.

Do we know already what caused this outbreak in Italy? I mean, there must be a reason why they are two weeks ahead of everyone else in Europe.

1 Like

Do we know already what caused this outbreak in Italy? I mean, there must be a reason why they are two weeks ahead of everyone else in Europe.

Of course we do.

1. Italy is the world’s tourism central
  2. Our government is exceptionally inept at handling even ordinary situations, let alone emergencies
  3. The Italian mind is unfortunately centered around the concept of “rules only apply to others” and people just didn’t follow sanitary advice in the first days.

( government UBI checks sent out, enforced moratorium on evictions and foreclosures, etc.).

Surprisingly, this is exactly what the “support decree” voted today imposes.
Less surprisingly so, all Bad Things are just posponed until the emergency is over (if ever) - meaning exactly when lots of people who could not earn a salary during the quarantine will be even poorer than today.

Enjoy this preview of your future.

6 Likes

And when the payments stop, evict them from their dying holes.

2 Likes

They reported their first case earlier than most IIRC, but hospitals continually turned away a 38 year old athletic male who was patient zero (least that’s what I read in the BBC). He infected many others in the meantime.

4 Likes

I usually use VRB-hole.

1 Like