6.6m Americans filed for unemployment last week

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/02/6-6m-americans-filed-for-unemp.html

2 Likes

How’s this for an exponential curve?

Wk 1 - 3.2 million
Wk 2 - 6.6 million, 9.8 cumulative
Wk 3 - 13.2 million, 23 m cumulative
Wk 4 - 26.4 m, 49.4 m cumulative
Wk 5 - 52.8 m, 102.2 cumulative
Wk 6 - 105.6 m -------- that will exhaust our employed pool.

I am sure the numbers look pretty on a chart.

We should be at 0% employment by end of April. Is there a plan to “flatten the curve”?

2 Likes

tumblr_6d37a575f686d595b74bf54876dfd526_d6d25fc1_640

21 Likes

Somebody, anybody in DC better grab the wheel from Cheetolini, things are going to get f’ing ugly[r].

tumblr_bf83161debd9fa6ebf89f72685c6d8d8_616e4210_640

19 Likes

But is unemployment expected to be exponential?

In other news…

These mother fuckers at my apt. First the put on UGLY and CHEAP (my 13 year old can tell it is cheap) siding over my relatively new but meh siding, in BLACK (or very very dark grey). These units SUCK in the summer for heat. And now they put BLACK on the units???

Then during what is going to be the worst recession in a long ass time, they have the balls, to raise my rent 50 bucks a month. They should lower it down like ~$150 to where it was during the last recession.

Oh I am so fucking pissed. When I calm down I will call them and see if I can at least get the old rate.

Though at least this time they are allowing 3 and 6 mo leases at the same rate vs a premium.

That is if I keep my fucking job.

8 Likes

Someone needs to photoshop Pence’s face on the dog.

8 Likes

Welp… that’s… gonna suck hard.

4 Likes

Did you miss out the /s or just not give a fuck?

Just checking as it’s hard to tell these days.

7 Likes

I don’t understand how anyone can be surprised at this. If you Madagascar the majority of the country, employers (many smaller ones already operating on razor-thin margins) are going to cut their most expensive asset (workers). It’s brutal economics, but it boils down to numbers.

Hey, %0.1’ers…you ready for the riots? Because distribution chains are shutting down exponentially. Wealth tax doesn’t look so bad now compared to the alternative, huh?

1 Like

Glenn Beck has such a plan…

There are, of course, many problematic issues with his ideas.

5 Likes

Soon…

3 Likes

A debt jubilee for the 99% is the only way to restore the economy to balance. The break even point for the average American prevents saving. Finance capitalism is killing its host.

2 Likes

I’ve searched my brain inside out and upside down, and I can’t come up with anyone worse than Cheetolini to see us through a pandemic. It’s like we’re all being forced to face the world’s worst absentee daddy.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Unemployment isn’t growing along an exponential curve. Even in a worst-case scenario there are plenty of jobs that will still by around by the end of April; government workers, grocery store employees, medical workers, delivery drivers, not to mention the millions and millions of people who are currently able to do their jobs from home.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.