6 killed in terror attack on Quebec mosque

FFS, @Max_Blancke, stop and take a look at yourself.

20 Likes

This is terrible.

If he actually did that, he might not like what he sees.

12 Likes

To the multiple folks suggesting that the “motive” matters in this case. It does not. Asking for a motive serves little purpose but to embolden victim-blaming, as if it somehow makes a difference if the shooter had a motive for the killing other than religious extremism, racism, or the like.

As much as we’d like to believe that terrorism is narrowly defined, the fact is, this act has caused fear in multiple communities around Canada, Quebec and the world, irrespective of a specific known motive. It is terrorism. Knowing the motive will not change this because there is no acceptable justification for the behaviour in question.

The victims deserve our sympathies and the perpetrators our universal condemnation.

24 Likes

18 Likes

Mindless hate knows no boundaries and requires little to be called into action.

5 Likes

@orenwolf, melz beat me to the ovation, so I’ll just say thank you for bringing this thread back to what matters.

11 Likes

Motive:

"We see a lot of what extreme right-wing people do and say. He has made statements about identity on our Facebook page. He was acting like a troll. It also tackled the rights of women, "recalls Deschamps.

Also in a plot twist: Dude has a twin brother! “They really behave like twins. Yes, they were introverts.”

10 Likes

Just in case we need a reminder why it’s pretty much A-OK to punch Nazis:

20 Likes

Because Muslims live there?

OH wait - was that supposed to be rhetorical?

6 Likes

That punch to the nose was not hard enough, clearly.

15 Likes

See also:

11 Likes

I don’t know that I agree. Surely we’d want to understand the motive, since whatever it is, it points to the kind of problem that results in shootings. And given the perp was a white nationalist repeating a lot of the same white nationalist, anti-immigration, pro-Trump, muslim demonizing rhetoric that’s being exploited by our sitting president and some members of the administration, maybe it really matters a lot. I don’t think anyone here’s going to victim blame Muslims shot by a far-right Islamophobic bigot and more than we’re blaming the victims stripped of green cards and trapped by DHS in airports because the Trump admin’s run by a far-right Islamophobic bigot.

5 Likes

You missed Mr. Blanke’s drive-by? No foul if you did, we weren’t having it.

15 Likes

We do want to understand the motive. What we don’t want to do is pretend that this isn’t a terrorist act targetting a certain group of Others in-and-of itself (based on what we do know) because we don’t yet know the exact details of the motive. Guess who was doing that … again.

10 Likes

No, wondered what that was about. So wait, was Max was actually blaming the victims, or was he spouting the right-wing lie that the perp. was a Muslim?

9 Likes

You’re correct. My original statement was too vague. What I should have said was “To the multiple folks suggesting that the “motive” affects what we call this shooting, it does not”.

I wholeheartedly agree understanding the motives of aggressors has value. Using it to frame the discussion, as if the victims could somehow be more or less at fault, or the act more or less horrific, however, is not conducive to anything. Thanks for challenging my statement and giving me an opportunity to provide greater clarity.

10 Likes

No, wondered what that was about. So wait, was Max was actually blaming the victims, or was he spouting the right-wing lie that the perp. was a Muslim?

He reserved judgement about whether it was bigoted terrorism. “Wait and see.” Given the speed of the investigation, he gave up.

11 Likes

Sorry, and yes, that makes sense. I’d missed some of the context due to the deletes and have a bit less concentration these days from losing sleep thanks to the encroaching Orange Plague.

8 Likes

I have noticed he is really generous with the giving the benefit of the doubt to white people.

16 Likes

And nobody else!

13 Likes