6 killed in terror attack on Quebec mosque

the encroaching Orange Plague.

Orange snot everywhere.

5 Likes

As more information is released, it certainly does appear that this act of terrorism was committed by an anti-immigrant White guy. When I originally posted that no motive had been released, CBC had identified two suspects, and their motivations were less obvious. Even so, It is also true that most of the time, incidents like this turn out to be exactly what they appear to be at first glance. But not every time. The first time we had one of these discussions, the BB headline was about “White Supremacist Terrorists” who were torching churches in the Ferguson area. The headline was changed, but the article, and discussion, remain at http://boingboing.net/2015/10/21/terrorists-torch-five-black-fe.html
Milliefink snapped at me then with “Violence meant to inspire terror in others is terrorism. And so, burning black churches all over the map in clear response to Black Lives Matter and other events is terrorism. Screw up and down, back and forth and sideways your nitpicking, racist definitions deployed in an effort to say otherwise.
ETA: And thank you so much, @doctorow, for using terminology that other media outlets are too afraid or ignorant to use.”

And in all fairness, it did look like something from Mississippi from the 60s. but it turned out to be a local firebug. Not racially motivated, or even terrorism. The churches were chosen because they were in his neighborhood, and empty at night.
I hope that if I am found to be giving Whitey the benefit of the doubt more often than other people here, it is because this is a left-leaning site, and the default response here is to blame him for most everything. But I would rather be called out here than be a part of the increasingly irrational right. I should try not to engage and be contrary when you are using the space to vent and express your opinions. I am skeptical by nature, and I know that sometimes looks like antagonism. Please continue to call me out when you feel that I am wrong, and I will do my best to read and consider your criticisms.
MB

2 Likes

Well. This is shit.

G.W. Bush and Obama would have just sent condolences and condemnations, but of course that colossal mango colored turd decided to be extra classy:

9 Likes

Just because a forum leans “anti-racism” doesn’t mean it’s your moral duty to provide balance as the resident apologist for acts of racism.

21 Likes

Someone has to defend the group that has the lion’s share of money and power and media influence and indeed population in our country from attacks by left-leaning Web sites. These helpless and voiceless people have suffered too long and require a champion, lest there be some kind of white genocide.

10 Likes

And I really do not want to do that, or be perceived to be doing that, since I am not myself a racist, and avoid those who are.

So you say. You are, however, clearly prejudiced since you make false claims against minorities.

10 Likes

Well, his head’s still attached, so no.

12 Likes

If that’s actually your goal, you should try not applying your constant double-standard, where claims of violence are accepted instantly if the target is the right but need extreme vetting if the target is a minority. Because right now, you have worked very hard at the hole you are in.

20 Likes

If genuine, this sounds like you are working through a disengagement with a toxic, right-wing upbringing or other toxic immersion in the death cult. At some point, you have to commit to that work. Part of that commitment is to realize that most of the other folks on this site are well aware of toxic right-wing talking points. We either had that upbringing or have been reminded every day by tone-deaf dumb assholes at work or on the radio that our values aren’t the real 'Murica-Brit-Deutscher values handed down to us as dumb talking points derived from Martin Luther, Edmund Burke, Nietzsche, and John Wayne.

I’m generally pretty comfortable with this site’s lack of leaning toward dumb, dull, greedy, right-wing bigotry. I see the talking points of that death cult as a better fit for the term “political correctness” than any of the reflexive skepticism we have about the good of whitey and the bad of color. There are a number of moderate centrists and conservatives on the site as well, and it seems that they’re here for the same reason. Learn from their example.

If not genuine, consider what it is about this site that inspires you to waste your time here. If you want to be part of the community, see the beginning of my comment and go from there. If you are honest with yourself enough to acknowledge your… unsteerable drive to wedge the talking points of the death cult into every thread that might have a racial element, acknowledge to yourself that you have a sick kind of problem. Go back up to the start of my comment and begin again.

17 Likes

Scroll back… Nope. Okay:

4 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic.

Pro-tip: It’s not about you.

15 Likes

Ah, I get it! His muslim ban is just trying to keep these people safe from the bigots over here!

What a Genius!

Oops. I meant “giant colossal asshole”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.