$6 million heist at Costa Rica's National Bank was an inside job

Originally published at: $6 million heist at Costa Rica's National Bank was an inside job | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“$6,000 a day on lottery tickets.”

10 Likes

But perhaps most likely to cause head shaking bemusement was the allegation that one of those involved suddenly began spending as much as $6,000 a day on lottery tickets.

Really. You go to all this trouble to create a complex scheme to get rich quick and then spend those funds on lottery tickets.

I’m not surprised it was an inside job. Normal people going into a bank in Costa Rica are basically all assumed to be potential criminals (a visit to a bank branch there is also reminiscent of going to the DMV in the U.S.)

4 Likes

Perhaps they thought that they could launder the money by winning the lottery…and nobody would look at how much they had spent on lottery tickets.

6 Likes

It’s possible. You buy lottery tickets there for cash from random and often dodgy street vendors. I could also see those vendors deliberately acting as launderers.

6 Likes

Peanuts, I say! Go BIGLY, he said!
Go for $1,500,000,000,000 for your friends.

Trump’s tax cuts helped billionaires pay less than the working class for first time | US economy | The Guardian.

5 Likes

I lived in Boston when they reported the unlikely story of the local mob boss “winning” the lottery.
About That Time Whitey Bulger “Won” the Mass Millions Lottery ‹ CrimeReads.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.