600 lighted drones in murmuration over Black Rock City

Jeez, Debbie Downer.

3 Likes

Noise is only pollution if it’s bothering someone. Every single person within earshot of Burning Man is someone who paid to be there and, presumably, understood what that meant.

1 Like

Interesting how the instant “INTEL” appeared, the video jumped further up. I wonder if “INTEL” was greeted with boos!

1 Like

What finally helped me “understand what that meant” was attending a workshop on EL wire, and could not hear the instructor for the EDM blaring on the speakers. (No one was dancing, this was a regional burn)

The sound guy refused to turn the sound down, it seems teaching electronics is not as important an activity as listening to EDM.

So much to love about burning man, I just dont do well with that much noise.

1 Like

“A murder of drones” works too.

4 Likes

In theory yes, in practice people often don’t realise that / how noise bothers them–until they are practically driven mad by it.

I find drone images as beautiful as anyone, but having encountered drones in the wild, I am flabbergasted how little awareness there is about the noise they generate.

Similar to air conditioning units: Treated as an inevitable necessity (because developers can’t be bothered to design buildings according to the climate reality in the area), until you have the misfortune to try to open a window opposite one.

There is a reason why all those beautiful drone footages are either muted or underlaid with reassuringly gentile music. The reality of drones is very different:

2 Likes

interesting to see hardly anyone had read the Nat’l Geo article or knew who the drone operator was. Lots of complaints! thanks for the link link

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant by light pollution, the amount of bright lights near the ground that prevent you seeing all but the brightest stars. I doubt that was a problem at the Amsterdam event, but a bunch of mates, getting weird and wasted in a desert should, at some point, lie in a circle with heads together and wonder at the cosmos.

1 Like

Not at all, I would have gone ooh and aah like I would at any firework display. It is just that deserts, in my limited experience, offer the best chance of looking up at the sky and feeling really, really small and for most of us those chances are limited.

1 Like

Oh, I missed that. Wondering how that might have looked from different points, including the HeLaBa tower…

Given the amount of fireworks Germans are burning every New Year’s Eve, and on special occasions like SomethingSomething in Flammen, I would really like to see more drone shows.

We could also combine both.

I can’t see them making rules about SOOP. :sunglasses:

Fair enough, but Burning Man runs for 10 days, and this was presumably part of one night. There are many opportunities to gaze at the desert stars.

1 Like

I’m very glad they cut scenes every few seconds, so we can see the drones from all angles, don’t become mesmerized by the lights, and get to see many crowd reaction shots that are always appreciated when viewing a spectacle.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.