7 pack of cheap micro-usb cables, because I keep losing them

If you haven’t already read it, in The Third Policeman, by Myles n’gCopaleen, the atomic theory causes human beings and bicycles to get mixed up owing to the constant bumping on Irish roads. Adding anything would be a plot spoiler, but it’s worth the effort of seeking out and reading if you like the sort of thing you linked to. [edit - as do I]

2 Likes

I guess the problem is that the thing you will immediately lose is the thing that does the RFID location. It becomes turtles all the way down.

7 Likes

My ex apparently sticks these on his children. In case they get kidnapped. I wish I were joking.

3 Likes

I know someone who tracks their child via their iPhone.
Then the child lost the iPhone…
It could be seen wandering around another part of town so they got in the car and went to look for it. The GPS suggested it was in a pub, so they called the police. Who eventually told them they were not interested, if they went after every lost iPhone they’d have no time for anything else.
Which was just as well as it turned out actually to be in the office of the organisers of the event where the phone had been lost, and they got it back on the Monday.
So - instead of going after wandering kid, they spent a large part of a weekend going after a wandering kid tracker.

4 Likes

Can you check and see if any of my socks are in there?

4 Likes

We are now in the middle of the transition to USB-C, which will increase the scope for destructive misapplication. Eventually if progress continues connectors will be too small to be distinguished by eye, which is perhaps a manufacturer strategy.
Sony have actually abandoned their waterproof magnetic charging plug, which seems an incredible step backwards., unless the objective is to get people to break things and result in more sales.

I’ve stopped trusting “cheap” called because they don’t last five minutes. The only ones I’ve found that last are the Anker ones.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why I still have a metric shitload of mini-USB cables, but had to do exactly the same as Jason just lately and get a pack of micro-USBs. Do micros grow up to be minis?

1 Like

Somewhere on a tropical island micro usb cables and odd socks sip Piña coladas and make sarcastic quips about the world they left behind…

3 Likes

I bought a few of the Trakr tags. They are…Okay.

Wouldn’t buy again, but I have resorted to them a couple of times.

Wow.

Just… wow…

2 Likes

I’ve posted before that there is apparently a considerable lack of standardization among micro USB cables. I was rather panicked recently when I thought I had lost the only one I’d ever found capable of charging a certain little Arduino board I have on hand. (The cable was, of course, found dangling out of one of the USB hubs I have hanging around my PC.)

Among the many charms of the Blackberry Playbook are that it is astonishingly easy to jam a micro USB cable in the wrong way and bend the connector within. You’d have thought the whole USB standard would have squashed problems like that once and for all; alas, no.

USB-C is reversible, but it still relies on a tiny piece of plastic in the centre of the port. That’s why I liked Lightning, the contacts are on the outside instead of in the middle, which seems to be a more robust way of doing things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.