700 pounds of acorns found in California home (video)

Originally published at: 700 pounds of acorns found in California home (video) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

What kind of R-value do acorns have as insulation?

21 Likes

Unavailable for comment:

12 Likes

Scrat would think he’d died and gone to heaven.

Also, they filled 8 large garbage bags. That’s nearly 90lbs weight per bag. I’m a tad suspicious of the alleged total weight here.

Dunno, but it would fatten a lot of pigs and make good ham.

14 Likes

I had a wood pecker make a hole in the side of the house once. It was high up and I had trouble getting to it but sealed it up with some wood. Dunno if it put a bunch of nuts in the wall.

5 Likes

Contractor bags might hold that. Hopefully they found a good way to get rid of them.

4 Likes

But how many feral hogs would be attracted to your house?

6 Likes

Not used to seeing such long acorns, so I looked them up. Apparently, they are from a Coast Live Oak (aka California Live Oak). At first I thought they were giant poplar buds.

10 Likes

They could export them. They need them in Spain.

4 Likes

700lbs of acorns? That’s nuts

5 Likes

the question is, why in the hell does a woodpecker need that many acorns?

5 Likes

How many pecks wood a woodpecker peck?

4 Likes

It could have been worse: it could have been Tribbles.

It could have been still worse:

Dateline October 19, 1975

Explosion of sewage spurs suit

United Press International
CLEVELAND — Ohio Bell Telephone Co. was sued for $290,000 Friday by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph A. Carlone of South Euclid, who claim that their kitchen was flooded with 40 gallons of human waste because of a telephone installerʼs negligence.
The Carlones said an Ohio Bell installer drilled through a four-inch pipe connected to upstairs plumbing fixtures when he put in a telephone jack for their patio in 1964.
The coupleʼs attorney, J. Norman Stark, said sewage oozed out of the hole in the pipe and built up in the kitchen walls for eight years.
During that time, he said, plumbers, sewer experts and fumigators were unable to find the source of the odor in the kitchen.
“The stench was terrible,” Stark said. “Also, inorganic matter would get caught on the wire, accumulate and back up the second-floor water closets.”
The attorney said the moment of truth came on Aug. 21, 1972.
“The Carlones noticed their kitchen wall beginning to bulge,” he said. Then suddenly the wall actually exploded, showering the Carlones and their guests with 40 gallons of black ooze that had been accumulating for eight years.
“It was unbelievable.”

4 Likes

It only needed one, but every time it put one in the wall, the acorn fell a long way down and disappeared. But it was persistent … as your icon sang, " … it had High Hopes"

@iknownuurthing
Every acorn from a woodpecker falls,
If a woodpecker pecks on walls.

5 Likes

The headline made me think some Goofy Gophers were involved, not Woody! :wink:

What Stumped the Blue Jays? :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.