Man in Japan finds acorn, receives marriage proposal from owner

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/man-in-japan-finds-acorn-rece.html

6 Likes

That escalated quickly

31 Likes

A cute story Yamauchi, but don’t even think about it.

15 Likes

Fake Acorns Used in Recent Kidnapping Spree

4 Likes

5238478680_9284d298b4

31 Likes

Umm, what’s that now?

I’m sure I’m missing something because, you know, Japan, but WhoTF takes an acorn to Lost and Found?

9 Likes

My experience being in Japan is that they are pretty honest, particularly when it comes to misplaced/lost things. For one i misplaced an umbrella when i went to Japan and where i left it at one of the retail workers made sure to set it aside for me, i went back the next day and was elated to have it back.

The acorn is a bit different but i can see that kind of mentality playing a factor but mostly i think that the guy that turned it in did so as a “just in case but this is pretty amusing either way” type of thing. I could be wrong but that’s the vibe that i got.

8 Likes

So what is the deal with Japan and acorns? I mean there must be a thousand of them in my yard. No marriage proposals but the deer like to come around.

8 Likes

Meanwhile in Englaf a child found an Acorn. Luckily his dad was in the retrocomputing hobby.

12 Likes

Maybe you should chat up some of the deer.

6 Likes

You are leaving them in your yard. Try leaving them at the mall.

15 Likes

“Large streams from little fountains flow, Tall oaks from little acorns grow.” (anonymous)

Cute, but that proverb can actually work two distinctly different ways… so caution is recommended.

I don’t know, but I do think acorns are kind of kawaii.

9 Likes
\______   \______   \\_____  \\______   \/   _____/
 |     ___/|       _/ /   |   \|     ___/\_____  \ 
 |    |    |    |   \/    |    \    |    /        \
 |____|    |____|_  /\_______  /____|   /_______  /
                  \/         \/                 \/

Extra props for Ghibli love!

6 Likes

I once forgot a box of instant ramen at the Japanese grocery store, and didn’t remember until the next day. My friend who lives nearer to the store went over and explained what had happened, and described me, and the manager was “oh yeah, that guy. We set his ramen aside.” and handed my friend the box to take to me.

It’s a social system dependent on certain levels of honesty.

12 Likes

In Britain it is conkers, I once got a girlfriend when I gave her a conker.

I was eight, it didn’t last – sigh.

4 Likes

But, but, this is an acorn. When I see an acorn, I don’t think to myself “Somebody is missing an acorn” any more than if I see any other plant part such as a leaf.

4 Likes

It’s a pretty cool-looking acorn, but it’s probably more the location in which it was found. If it’s in the middle of a shopping mall, it had to get there somehow - a child is a safe bet.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of a time when I was cat-sitting for some friends. I picked up, from the floor of their apartment, what I thought was one of the cats’ toys—a small (inch-and-a-half-or-so), green, seemingly-made-out-of-rubber frog—only to be shocked when it jumped right out of my hand!

What on earth was a small live frog doing in my friends’ apartment? I thought I should take it outside, but I considered that it could have been a pet that had been lost by a visiting child…so I messaged my friends first, to make sure that it wasn’t someone’s lost pet and wasn’t supposed to be there. They replied with some surprise and amusement, and said that it wasn’t supposed to be there, and so I took it outdoors.

Best I could figure out was that the landlord was doing some work in the apartment and had brought in a bunch of tools and equipment that had been stored in the basement, so possibly the frog had been in amongst that stuff. But one of my first thoughts actually had been that a child might be missing a frog!

I like the acorn story. Very sweet.

2 Likes

I was surprised that when you miss a glove or a handkerchief on the streets, they are placed in a visible place, usually eye-level, to make it easier for you to find if it is your regular path or go back there.

3 Likes