Japanese prime minister installs a beaver-shaped door knocker he bought in Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/02/japanese-prime-minister-instal.html

8 Likes

Did he learn the secret Canadian handshake?

Beaver%20Secret%20Handshake

35 Likes

Eh?

I see a photo, but no video.

(Relieved to gather tho what kind of beaver it is.)

10 Likes

I think @frauenfelder forgot the link.

12 Likes

As a Canadian, I congratulate his excellent taste in doorknockers.

21 Likes

That’s a pretty neat piece of folk art. So nice I’m not going to make any beaver or knocker jokes. My only issue is that I would not have used only one nail.

9 Likes

giphy|nullxnull https://media0.giphy.com/media/yoJC2rVA4AYo37814Q/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5ccb65004a625a5151951021&rid=giphy.gif

36 Likes

beat me to it. I snortlaugh every time I think of that bit.

7 Likes

Dude - that’s a secret!

5 Likes
16 Likes

As a Canadian I must point out that no Canadians have put something like that on their door.

Unless it’s a camp site or something in which case it’s for the tourists and that’s ok, eh?

15 Likes

It’s Beautiful! This gift will surely cement Canada-Japan relationship !

3 Likes

Do you realize he’s a far-right ideologue? If he was Trump or LePen, I feel like this would be much different in tone.

3 Likes

Edit: I still am pretty not ok with Abe’s war crimes denials, but, as @Israel_B points out in his reply, it seems like ascribing the more extreme ideological positions I described below to him was a mistake, as a result of me reading some sensationalistic journalism. Keeping the original post for context.

He’s much more subtle and tasteful and less bombastic with his nationalist ideology than those two, though. As you’d expect from a Japanese guy. It doesn’t really come out in his speeches. You’d have to read some of the works coming out of his literary society to know that he’s a monarchist who wants to restore the glories of imperial Japan.

13 Likes

Heh. Beaver knocker. Hehehe.

8 Likes

Makes me proud to be a Canadian. But he should have screwed that beaver, not nailed it. :wink:

13 Likes

With Robertson screws, of course.

11 Likes

Fine, don’t use the part of the animal that actually makes a concussive sound:

8 Likes

For a world leader, he seems to be handy.

I wonder if Trump knows what a hammer is for. I’m sure he has thoughts regarding beavers.

6 Likes

I can see why he’s a politician and not a contractor, shoddy workmanship.

3 Likes