Japanese prime minister installs a beaver-shaped door knocker he bought in Canada

Right wing Japanese politicians love contractors.

Regardless of the economic rights and wrongs of the Abe government’s pump-priming, the main political risk from the massive boost in public works spending is the recreation of the political infrastructure of Japan’s ‘construction state’. The revival of this old-style LDP pork-barrelling will see the re-emergence of a number of interrelated political and administrative practices, which will have widespread ramifications throughout the Japanese political system and the economy.

Influence-peddling by LDP politicians seeking money for favours from construction companies will increase, leading to money politics and financial scandals. There will be a return to large-scale bid-rigging ( dango ) by construction companies with the collusion of politicians and government officials. The political power of large, general construction companies ( zenekon ) famous for building economically wasteful projects will be restored. Local construction companies will mobilise in elections as vote-gatherers and money donors for LDP candidates, and petitions for public works projects filed by municipal and industry organisation leaders will put direct pressure on LDP politicians to deliver pork to specific groups and regions.

3 Likes

I think the fact that you wrote “I must point out” rather than “I’m sorry to point out” is irrefutable proof that you are not Canadian. I bet you don’t even have a hockey rink in your back yard.

5 Likes

You can nail it or screw it, all good as long as you plough through…

Finaly got through to the video. That sure is one fat beaver!

But please tell me that he really did buy it and it wasn’t a gift.

So Abe…

2 Likes

3 Likes

A nice tanuki door knocker would make a lovely thank you gift for Justin Trudeau.

8 Likes

That’s the reason he is prime minister and not a carpenter.

He probably had an emergency helicopter on standby in case he hit his finger with the hammer.

1 Like

When I think of heads of state and Canadian folk art carvings, only one thing springs to mind:

1 Like

He’s been big on “modernizing” the JSDF, most notably its deepwater naval and air forces. In all fairness I give him a pass on it only because China has been such a bully when maritime issues with their neighbors.

1 Like

The guy was lucky it wasn’t Jean.

3 Likes

All I have to say is the subtitles of that film give far more information than the dubbing does.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but as another Canadian, I’d allow it in cottages, which I consider a step above “camp sites”.

And trailer parks. Anything goes in a trailer park.

2 Likes

FTFY.

I guess if someone read PM Abe’s book or some of the Nippon Keigi texts and squinted real hard between the lines they could read such a conclusion.

1 Like

You don’t need to read those guys to know that he denies most of the war crimes Japan committed in WW2, so, essentially the Japanese equivalent of a holocaust denier. It’s always struck me that, when someone denies an incontrovertible fact about their history like that, it means that they’d be more than happy to do it again, given an opportunity.

To be fair, though, you have a point as well, since my impression of the Nippon Kaigi is largely filtered through Adelstein, and the fact that that was immediately obvious to you without me mentioning it does strongly suggest that he’s extremely biased.

2 Likes

That’s not what Mr. Leahy told me.

3 Likes

Before addressing this, do you read Japanese or do you get this information from the English language press? IIRC you have spent some time over here and should be aware that what gets reported isnt always so.

The sad thing is Jake actually does read Japanese and is able to read Nippon Kaigi texts. How he comes to his conclusions about them, PM Abe and a whole list of other things is kind of beyond me aside from the fact that sensationalism sells.

The big secret we’re not supposed to tell anyone: when Candians say: “Sorry.” - they don’t mean it. We’re just a bunch of real nasty sarcastic bastards.

3 Likes

Yes cottages; ‘cabins’ west of the hundredth meridian. Perfect for a bunkie. Ideal for boy scout camps. Among other modest claims to fame, Canada has made the beaver kitschy.

1 Like