8 dead after car runs down pedestrians at bus stop in Brownsville, Texas

Yeah, it kinda does.

From here:

But witnesses said he yelled slurs towards those outside the shelter after attempting to flee the crash scene.

11 Likes

I was on a jury last year on a case like this. They can be charged with things in between reckless driving and full manslaughter, like negligent (or grossly negligent) manslaughter. I think that you just need the prosecutors take up the case.

9 Likes

I’ve done that before, but does the linking work correctly? Like when you click on the down-caret to get context?

1 Like

It does do that. I just quoted this from your post and it isn’t attributed to you, but the person you quoted.

Note how this is attributed to you, but it is quoted from the same post, in the body.

like so

4 Likes

Oh good question. The answer is no, for the way I do it. As soon as you manually edit the quote tag, extra features like that are understandably disconnected.

2 Likes

My god though I hope he is charged with something… impactful. In my city, also in Texas, a man has been attacking people at bus stops for several weeks and then he hit an employee at an HEB intentionally to run them over before pulling out a gun. Since no one got shot it isn’t big in the news but it’s definitely been an ongoing attack on bus stops here by a different heavily tattooed hispanic man.

Dollars to doughnuts this is some proud boy shit.

8 Likes

Rather than messing with Markdown, a quickie way is to put the actual speaker’s name in square brackets.

2 Likes

This is so stupid. Cars are built to strict safety standards, require licensing, registration, insurance, and regular inspections. Governments can and do take away one’s right to use a car. Yes, people get run down by cars but things like strategically bollards stop all but the most determined.

And as far as “assault pencils” go, wake me up after there’s a mass killing done with one.

7 Likes

They were programmed to do that intentionally, and at great cost, by the car and insurance lobby. That cars had accidents rather than they were driven into people and things was a choice the industry made in framing violence by the rich on poor kids.

10 Likes

Very true!

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that UK police have deprecated the use of “accident” to describe an incident where a motor vehicle is crashed into something or someone. The coppers here have too. Unfortunately some of the media haven’t (many have) but then the political terms of debate are framed on shows called things like “Drive Time” where driving commuters are pandered to and the shows are primarily sponsored by car industry related companies.

Only losers get the bus. Obvs.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.