Woman accidentally kills self with gun bought for Ferguson unrest

[Permalink]

Weeding out the idiots. People who are that stupid shouldn’t buy guns, or anything else they can harm themselves with. Like cars, for instance.

2 Likes

Would the gun store accept a refund?

Too soon?

2 Likes

Darwin proved right…

I’m just glad that she did not hurt anybody innocent.

5 Likes

I take it the mandatory gun-safety lessons were supposed to take place sometime after the purchase.

7 Likes

Why would they? It obviously works.

10 Likes

Assuming that this is what really happened. There’s only one person’s word to go on.

How many people are dumb enough to wave loaded guns around? (One less than there were a few days ago?)

Sounds as reasonable as this - cleaning a gun while it’s loaded?

One difference being that they make you pass a basic competency test before you’re allowed to drive a car.

15 Likes

I guess you can have her gun now…

4 Likes

Darwinism in action. Ironically, if they had killed an innocent bystander, it would also be Darwinism in action. Darwin doesn’t play fair, yo.

3 Likes

And despite everyone supposedly having basically competency, nearly everyday I experience people who either forgot how to drive or just simply do not give a fuck and drive the way they want to do. Or perhaps the test they filled out on the back of their Lucky Charms box wasn’t as stringent as the one I took.

Just because you know how you are supposed to do something, doesn’t mean you always do it. There are 4 extremely basic rules of handling firearms. If you only obey the first one you won’t hurt anyone.

1 Like

15 Likes

That’s the point. People break rules, but at least with a car you have to demonstrate a basic understanding of what the rules are. You think the state of driving is bad now? Imagine if people could get behind the wheel without ever being told what a stop sign was for.

As far as I know, you can legally buy a gun pretty much anywhere in the U.S. without knowing any of the basic rules of handling firearms.

6 Likes

Er, what mandatory safety lessons?

3 Likes

Guns doing what they do best.

3 Likes

Well it does happen. Though “it went off when I was cleaning it” has to be the default excuse for “I was fucking around and pulled the trigger, not realizing I left it loaded.”

Some designs, like the extremely popular Glock, has you pull the trigger as part of the take down process to clean it. In order to remove the slide from the frame you have to pull the trigger, and if you left a round in it, it will go off.

Of course it’s all on you because you didn’t clear the weapon immediately after picking it up. I mean it is the most basic of rules. I live alone and even though barring the existence of bullet gnomes, there is no way that my gun suddenly loaded it self 5 min after setting it down, when I pick it back up I check. Showing a gun to some one? As soon as you pick it up, you check, showing the empty chamber to the person so they can confirm no one hacked your eyes ala Ghost in the Shell.

Shrug. Some people drive 10 and 2, and others with their knees. Complacency kills.

10 Likes

Operating a firearm is a lot easier than driving a car. Every (new) gun comes with a manual. Nearly every gun maker will send you free manuals of a used gun and/or have them in PDF form. RTFM.

I’m all for education. Completely 100% behind that. They used to have safety programs in schools. I just oppose more laws. That goes for things like seat belts and helmet laws. We can educate and make people aware with out laws.

3 Likes

Great, then the competency test should be a piece of cake.

6 Likes

ST. LOUIS (CNN) – A woman appears to have accidentally fatally shot herself in the head with a gun bought to prepare for possible Ferguson-related unrest, according to sources briefed on the police investigation.

The shooting occurred Friday night in downtown St. Louis, the city’s Metropolitan Police Department said, in an area dominated by vacant lots beside a football stadium.

The female victim, identified in a police report as Becca Campbell, 26, was a passenger in a car involved in an auto accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was driving, the sources told CNN

Hmm, how convenient she had a crazy ‘accident’ out in a secluded area, with just the one witness.

2 Likes

If I thought it would do any real good, I could get behind it. But in reality you’re suggesting a huge new bureaucratic department that would effect ~100 million Americans being formed to attempt to reduce the ~800 deaths due to accidents per year.

I don’t find that either rational or prudent.

Considering you are like 16x more likely to be accidentally poisoned and over 4x more likely to drown, maybe we should require everyone who has something as toxic as a Tide gel pod and something that holds more than 3" of water a Household Hazardous Materials license and a Swimming license.

Hell you are 17x more likely to die from a fall. Maybe we need walking and ladder climbing licenses. Anyone entering a home with more than 1 level will need to have their RFID chipped Stair Climbing Licence card scanned before entering said property.

2 Likes