8-ft wasp nest found in barn

39 Likes

A wasp is like the original coked-up recipe of Coke. Yellowjackets are 8-balls laced with PCP and meth.

11 Likes

19 Likes

More popularly known as Fucking Cazadors to anyone who played Fallout New Vegas. I’ll take my chances with the deathclaws, thank you.

15 Likes

No joke, those little bastards are mean! And by “mean” I mean “sting-crazy”. They also live underground, so you could plant your foot on a nest and get stung a bunch of times before you even know what the heck is going on.

Source: My arm swelled up like an expired whole bologna.

8 Likes

“KNOCK THEM DOWN”

Naked covered in sugar water and honey.

3 Likes

I’m reminded of this story -

5 Likes

15 Likes

So there are honeybees which make honey, and then there are the bees in the photo, which are bumblebees, which dont make honey but are excellent pollinators.

I’ll give you the nest/making wasps as a terror (tho in safe moments their nests are quite beautiful and great architecture), but will note that there are also “solitary” wasps, which consume insects and help keep down numbers of various bugs.

Wasps are carnivores, bees are herbivores; bees evolved from wasps, apparently.

And there’s at least one nest-making wasp that humans brought here from Europe (hopefully it was a mistake but still). Found it:

3 Likes

You feel a little bit woozy.

3 Likes

They aren’t exclusively carnivores, they will also eat fallen fruit which can cause some of the arseholeishness when the fruit starts fermenting.

6 Likes

lJPhBQp

1 Like

I remember ignoring the warning sign at the start of FNV, thinking that it’s just the starting area, and if it really is dangerous I can always run away.

I learned my lesson fast.

3 Likes

They also like to try and fight you over your soft drinks, cider, or beer, which is really annoying.

6 Likes

They also liked my special edition 1996-7 Carlisle United shirt. I managed to not get stung while wearing it, but I always had a cloud of wasps buzzing around me when I wore it in summer.

(mine has a Wembley 97 bit on it above the Carlisle badge)

3 Likes

I always do New World Blues ASAP, solely for the bonuses against Cazadors.

I will take on the entire quarry of deathclaws before I go near a cazador nest.

2 Likes

Opp, AL! As a kid I used to catch snakes for Opp’s annual Rattlesnake Rodeo. Good times (?).

1 Like

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

There are usually only one or two super nests spotted each year, in June and July, Mr. Ray said. In 2006, however, he recorded 90.

“I expect to approach that number this year,” Mr. Ray said.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

7 Likes

I think that may be the 8ft wasp @Tamsin_Bailey was referring to.

2 Likes

I pulled up next to an older car of similar vintage (I think it was a Buick from back when they were all straight lines) with my windows down. Yellowjackets started pouring out of the left rear wheel well of the elderly GM, and I was lucky to get all my windows back up with only one bastard in the car with me. The light turned green, I gunned it, and opened all the windows. Twice lucky, that did the trick - the yellow asshole left the vehicle.

2 Likes