Man invents wasp vacuum and ends up with box of wasps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/11/man-invents-wasp-vacuum-and-en.html

7 Likes

That’s what the flame thrower is for.

16 Likes

I had to do something like this once in my younger years, with a tool shed and a much worse infestation.

Found the hole in the roof where they were entering, and rigged up an old shop vac with the nozzle nearby. I let it run for a few days (shed was a distance from the house so the noise didn’t matter) and then wrapped the entire thing in a black plastic contractor bag and let it sit in the direct sun for a week. Killed all of them quite nicely.

5 Likes

I assume that wasps are not protected animals in the US?

3 Likes

If they were, I still wouldn’t care and would still decimate them with equal fervor. I realize that they’re pollinators too, but I’m way more interested in keeping the bees around, since they’re far less likely (at least in my area) to be aggressive and destructive to my property.

8 Likes

I will use any excuse, no matter how thin, to post this gif.

40 Likes

No, do not read The Wasp Factory. Never ever.

11 Likes

This is more his style:

https://woodgears.ca/airgun/index.html#supersonic

Although:

https://woodgears.ca/physics/venturi.html

He makes a lot of cool stuff.

3 Likes

There are a couple weeks every October where a particular species of diving spider in my area has its mating season, and they all come to my swimming pool at night to get together. The skimmers in the pool act in a similar manner to this device, and I’m greeted with this scene the next day:

4 Likes

6 Likes

I’m just grateful you didn’t stoop lower and go with that Nick-Cage-head-full-of-oh-no-not-bees nonsense.

Edit: Curse you AnthonyI

7 Likes

I try to stoop within reason.

Also,

14 Likes

These things go wrong so easily, it’s just human nature and you can’t fix it:

2 Likes

Probably a lot spicier than that can of bees I bought.

jpeg

8 Likes

Not read it for a while, and I wonder how it plays in our shiny post-binary world. Perhaps if that’s what you’re fixating on in such a novel you’re doing it wrong.

Q: What should I do with this box of wasps?

A: Fit them with little crocheted collars and monofilament leashes, then market to hipsters. Presto! Instant exotic pet fad.

19 Likes
9 Likes

Well, he’s Canadian, so it would be Canada that doesn’t protect wasps. Here in the US, we’re more about protecting WASPs. Usually from themselves.

11 Likes

I wonder if leaving off the screen would have solved the need to wait five days? Or would it have gummed up the works? Not having to have the box in place would have probably helped with the suction level as well.

Also, it’s awesome to see an actual engineer who’s far more cluttered than I am.

2 Likes

I was fully expecting that the video would end with someone running around and flailing his arms in the air, batting at impossible targets and yelling “Oh goddammit goddammit…,” because it’s funny when it’s someone else.

Disappointed.

6 Likes