Man invents wasp vacuum and ends up with box of wasps

I just use a can of compressed air and a lighter. Bam! Homemade flamethrower. There was a wasp that met it’s untimely end when it entered my apartment.

DS9-quark-nope

3 Likes

May I suggest not trying that on a nest…at least not one that’s had a while to get into gear.

That is not a joke.

5 Likes

Why not? I doubt they’d survive. Maybe I’d go up to a welding torch at that point.

Ok… You go have fun.

I’ll just be over here on another continent. Warn me if you come to Europe, ok?

11 Likes

And spiders don’t even fly…

5 Likes

My family honestly wants me to come back to Poland being its my family’s home country. Do you consider that part of Europe?

1 Like

Yeah but I think that’s far enough away.

4 Likes

Do you consider[Poland] part of Europe?

Of course. More than the UK will be in a few weeks certainly.

The bit with the baby? I had to stop reading at that point and go and watch my friend play computer games for an hour, before I felt able to go back to the book.

5 Likes

Speaking personally, I found most of the book did that for me. Still worth reading but, yeah, not a light read and it certainly makes it easier to understand why he split his output by Iain Banks/ Iain M. Banks.

3 Likes

@beschizza is probably motivated by a certain reinterpretive review of The Wasp Factory mentioned on BBS some years back. Just sayin’…

5 Likes

I thought it was because he’d already tried to get his scifi published as Iain M. Banks, but no publishers had picked up on it, so to make some money he’d written some non-genre stuff and had to remove the M to get it published.

Squirt the box with some Spectracide and watch the bastards die.

Oooo, previously.

2 Likes

30 Likes

This is what wikipedia has to say on the subject for what it’s worth:

Banks published work under two names. His parents had intended to name him “Iain Menzies Banks”, but his father made a mistake when registering the birth and “Iain Banks” became the officially registered name. Despite this error, Banks used the middle name and submitted The Wasp Factory for publication as “Iain M. Banks”. Banks’s editor inquired about the possibility of omitting the ‘M’ as it appeared “too fussy” and the potential existed for confusion with Rosie M. Banks, a romantic novelist in the Jeeves novels by P.G. Wodehouse; Banks agreed to the omission. After three mainstream novels, Banks’s publishers agreed to publish his first science fiction (SF) novel Consider Phlebas . To create a distinction between the mainstream and SF novels, Banks suggested the return of the ‘M’ to his name, and it was used in all of his science fiction works.[7][16]

I would love to see the Iain Banks novel that could be confused with Only a Factory Girl (Only a Wasp Factory Girl?) or The Courtship of Lord Strathmorlick.

4 Likes

Wasps are double dicks, because many of them eat spiders, who are our friends.

7 Likes

I had a guy come vacuum wasps out of a tree in my backyard once. It turns out that wasp larvae are really cute, which is something you rarely get the opportunity to witness without being stung.

He took the wasps with their queen and relocated them to his field, where he farms wasps to provide their venom to medical companies.

16 Likes

On-trend humbugs. Nice.

3 Likes

needs to make wasp-a-nade

2 Likes