8-ft wasp nest found in barn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/8-ft-wasp-nest-found-in-barn.html

4 Likes

3CFcHZU

29 Likes

I’m sending a case of epipens, STAT!

10 Likes

uCLm6PL

33 Likes

Jesus Christ, that’s literally nightmarish. I wonder if the upper & lower nests would have melded into one Lovecraftian horror if they’d left it for another month?

12 Likes

I still maintain that they should be relocated to the Republican offices of the statehouse.

Never waste a good wasp nest.

17 Likes

That seems overly cruel for the wasps; you’d have PETA all over you.

16 Likes

Climate change has a sting to it doesn’t it?

7 Likes
7 Likes

In this case warmer winters are keeping the queens put hence bigger nests.

8 Likes

“the Republican offices of the statehouse”

That’s pretty much all there is in Alabama. The Democratic Party is so ineffectual here that they’ve only done 2.5 remarkable things since I’ve lived in Alabama. Item 1: The head of our party sent out an annual letter about how she’d gotten stuck on her toilet. No lie. Item 2: The party head and her adjutant defeated a bid by progressive Democrats to seize control of the party and do something. Item 2.5: Doug Jones sponsored a similar bid last year, and it also failed.

The Democratic Party leadership here is corrupt and incompetent to a staggering degree. As a Democratic voter, I’d like to see the yellowjackets put in THEIR office.

13 Likes

The only good thing about this story is that it is not about 8-foot wasps.

23 Likes

His mistake is at the end of the video: announcing who he is and where he lives.

8-ft Wasp Nest II: The Re-Stinging! This time, it’s personal.

5 Likes

I was going to say, isn’t the biggest wasp nest in Alabama already located in the state legislature?

4 Likes

I treat the nest with Permethrin. You will see the incredible size of the nest and the massive numbers of yellowjackets. Within a couple days after the treatment all yellowjackets were dead.

If this were my extended family, it would likely be a mixture of Beech-Nut and saliva.

For clarity:

2 Likes

That reminds me… Time to check the basement again to make sure that no wasps are getting in like last year!

3 Likes

I’d be happy to do that if I was wearing one of these:

Otherwise hell no!

13 Likes

This scenario is simply begging for a good Jerry Clower joke, though.

3 Likes

“I bought a record of wasp noises, and I think I really got my money’s worth, because it also came with a bee side” – Mitch Hedberg , probably.

18 Likes

So the wasp vs. yellow jacket thing perturbed me a bit but looking at Wikipedia it seems that a yellow jacket is a type of wasp.

Around my parts yellow jackets typically build underground. Wasps form the honeycomb nests and hornets build the paper mache looking ones. At least that’s how everyone here describes them. But you know soda, pop, Coke…

1 Like