8-year-old, denied school picture over cool hairstyle, becomes star of own photoshoot

All the daw, you have an awesome ma! :hugs:

4 Likes

One of my absolute favourite books is Tanith Lee’s ‘When The Lights Go Out”, the main character, Hesta, a teenage schoolgirl, is accused by a stand-in teacher of dying her hair, which is a vivid, but natural red. She responds by standing up, lifting her skirt and pulling down her panties to show its natural. The outraged female teacher responds by sending her out of the class.
Wonderful book, I’ve read it dozens of times.

5 Likes

Welcome!

Also: Hah! Someone actually did a whole analysis on the BoingBoing cadre’s various hairstyle pics as remembered/searched by TinEye. (There’s a crazy selection of algorithmically-generated look-alike hair styles at the end of it.)

5 Likes

Tanith Lee’s work is amazing, and way underappreciated.

2 Likes

Clearly the lesson here is to don’t only dye the hair on your head.

5 Likes

GirlChild is in third grade, and was very proud with herself this weekend that she came up with a “new” word… “fucktastic”. Apparently for use when things were exactly the opposite of “fantastic”.

She understands that kids aren’t supposed to swear, and really doesn’t, but was so proud of herself.

Didn’t have the heart to tell her that it wasn’t new, and was an apt description of many adults’ days.

7 Likes

Parenting is hard, but it sounds like your daughter has a good guide and ally in life. We should all be so fortunate.

2 Likes

Aren’t the eyebrows usually the same color of one’s hair?

1 Like

RIT cloth dye. In an old white bathtub.

I believe we did lose our “security deposit” ($875 in 1980s money) for that multi-roommate apartment (flatshare). We did try to bleach the tub before we moved out but dang, clothing dye is really persistent on pitted, 70-year old porcelain. Fun is not cheap sometimes.

ETA: grammar

2 Likes

I think there is often some kind of correlation between fun and cost. Except if you’re a parent then you have playgrounds and libraries. Oh, and making yourself a parent is pretty fun and inexpensive, too.

1 Like

Some of us are calico.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying, and I can agree that the first minutes are as you say.

Pregnancy, labor and delivery in the U.S. for us was, unfortunately, extremely expensive and we ended up charging a lot of our medical costs on credit cards to have our baby. No frills, no drugs, straight up old school labor and delivery of a newborn at one of Austin’s least fancy hospitals. Super expensive. Even with our high-deductible healthy insurance.

Note to self and others: for the big medical expenses, pick another country to have them in.

3 Likes

Something similar occurred in the Fruits Basket anime series where a character proved his black and white hair was natural.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. We have an out-of-pocket max per year of $2k which we hit pretty easily. My company also gives both parents 2 months off with new kiddos (although people usually end up logging in from home to keep up on things).

Stuff like this should be mandated by law. OK, boomers?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.