9 dead in gun massacre at church

I don’t think they do and they never did, as far as I’m aware. @dacree listed them as a black supremacist organization, though.

1 Like

What makes you think this was a random shooting rampage? It seemed quite planned. From his quotes, he seemed like he felt he was very much fighting to make the world a better place by shooting these people.

It’s just as possible he thought through it all quite sanely and decided this was the best way he could serve his ideology. (Which isn’t to say he was right, one can be stupid and sane as well)

2 Likes

Yep.

Still waiting…

1 Like

Here is a link to the church where the shooting happened:

http://www.emanuelamechurch.org/index.php

One of the oldest black churches in the south.

[ETA] Here is some history on the church:

1 Like

That’s the only reason I mentioned the Black Panthers

Here is where I listed black supremacist organizations

Notice how that list does not include The Black Panthers?

If you want to malign me then try harder

EDIT to add: Should I wait for an apology?

At this point it just seems like you’re driving trollies.

I think I kinda get what you’re saying here, but being racist is not like being a pop star. There really aren’t any barriers to entry like there are in the music industry. Someone can be a wanna-be rock star because it is actually difficult to be a rock star – a lot of people want to be a rock star but never actually manage to become one.

But there are really no barriers to entry to being racist or white supremacist. In either case, all you have to do is to subscribe to a set of beliefs that this guy pretty clearly subscribes to. That takes the “wanna be” right out – the dude is a white supremacist.

Now you’re saying that he’s probably not really part of a white supremacist organization or something like that. I’m not sure you really need a membership card to be considered a white supremacist, but I’m also curious: how do you know he isn’t a card-carrying white supremacist? Just a hunch? In that case, why so insistent about the “wanna be” term, especially when it’s pretty obviously nothing more than a minor semantic nitpick rather than an argument-changing distinction?

1 Like

The existence of a threat - a real threat - does make people come together.

And the coming together of people that is the threat, to hatred.

What I meant by FEEL brave is that speaking truth to power is energy better spent speaking to the powerful, or at least someone who is part of the problem, in this case. I may be a little extra sensitive because someone else was picking on me for being a white guy talking again,

You can !mansplain what this is about, but until you can change the title of the post, we can agree to disagree on that.

How about that milkshake bet?

Fair enough.

No kidding.

Tell me where I said he was not a racist.

Oh, because that imaginary point in time is when you targeted me as a trolley. Nice imagination, gain some control of it.

I asked a question. I wasn’t trying to malign you, but I do think bringing up such groups in this discussion is a distraction. And a false equivalency.

1 Like

A distraction from the only true narrative?

Dude, one person was intemperate with you, and other people disagreed with you. I understand it gets difficult to separate out those two concepts when tempers flare, but your opinions are as subject to criticism as anyone else’s.

2 Likes

And it makes some people circle the “mentally ill, lone wolf” wagons. As long as fox news ignores the reality, there is going to be a fair amount of people who will continue to do so, and refuse to put this into a larger social context. That’s why I’m so riled up.

[ETA] and I’m sure that the local community, black and white, will rally around the church and support them. Meanwhile, the confederate flag will continue to fly over the state house, and many whites will continue to deny that racism is a problem in our society.

Was I?

Not now.

I dont’ have that power, but this is still about white supremacy.

If we are talking about the Black Panthers, they weren’t.

Wikipedia says that Bobby Seale considers the New Black Panthers to be xenophobic. I am watching the referenced CNN interview to confirm that.

4 Likes

Only trying to provoke thought, possibly help you understand historical context. I really don’t care about who you are as a person, but I question if you understand the point you were / are trying to make.

1 Like

Then talk to @peemlives . That’s who brought them up. As for your claims of false equivalency, you’ll have to remind me where I did that.

if this isn’t about white supremacy, when it was a guy who shot 9 people, after sitting with them for an hour in a bible study, because they were black, what precisely, is it about?

1 Like

I was making the point that the parents should be looked at. The list of black supremacist organizations in the US was in direct response to a racist who claimed there are no black supremacist organizations in the US while responding to me.

So, tell me again, what point am I trying to make and how are you going to judge if I understand it?

Yes, thanks, I understand the distinction, but I still don’t get why they matter in the context of this white guy’s killing of nine black people.

2 Likes