90-year-old fills in $90,000 crossword art, now claims copyright

agreed!

a single chord or a simple scale are not copyrightable, see also the Kraftwerk case

[/quote]

What I meant was, wouldn’t a sheet of unmodified staff paper hung on a wall with an admonition to fill it up -by analogy to your position- stand superior to any line of notes -whether scalar or merely a chord or a full concerto added to it?

After all we know a period of silence (a way of performing blank staff paper I suppose) can inspire fiercely protective instincts in the claimant to copyright therein.

I don’t claim to know shit about art, but I reckon this whole thing is kind of awesome.

You’ve got someone interacting with the piece, in a way that the gallery have inadvertently suggested. There’s questions about the nature of art here, how the value of art is altered through exposure, what constitutes collaborative work and where the lines blur.

Even the court case itself could be considered as a work of performance art as it’s causing examination of those questions, which is, pretty much, what a lot of art intends to do.

NFI who’s right or wrong here, but I’m busting out the popcorn for this case.

13 Likes

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open
the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s
case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the
journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the
issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story
backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause
rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story,
and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest
of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the
baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

― Michael Crichton

11 Likes

He succeeded in creating a painting? That is indeed further than some painters get! >;]P

2 Likes

Would you elaborate? I’m not baiting, I’d like to hear your opinion.

I was looking for that quote, but couldn’t find it, because I couldn’t remember the name. Was that on BB today, or where did we see it?

1 Like

The most absurd thing about this story.

I don’t remember seeing it here, but I don’t read every thread so… maybe? Can’t remember where I first saw it, but I have seen it at least enough to remember “Crichton quote” in the context of your comment and google it (got the actual text from Goodreads).

1 Like

I posted something similar yesterday:

8 Likes

That’s it, thanks!

I love her.

2 Likes

The first thing we do,we kill all the lawyers.

Huh, I was under the impression that Germany rather excelled in hostile occupancy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It brings new meaning to “breaking the seal”

Personally, I’m rather taken with the argument :wink:

A variation of the “lick your siblings’ oreos so they won’t want them anymore” technique.

4 Likes

The fun thing is watching people’s heads explode trying to make sense of this while all the actual players are likely having the times of their lives.

3 Likes

The obligatory “If only there was a word in German for describing the pleasure derived by someone from another person’s misfortune.”

5 Likes

Not quite. He succeeded in selling so many paintings in one exhibition that he was able to give up teaching and go full time. He was successful in the gallery sense.