911 dispatcher put on leave, might be fired after hanging up on Buffalo shooting caller

Originally published at: 911 dispatcher put on leave, might be fired after hanging up on Buffalo shooting caller | Boing Boing

6 Likes

might be fired after hanging up on Buffalo shooting caller

Can we get a loss of pension tossed in, it’ll be a mighty deterrent for other dispatchers that pull this shit.

28 Likes

jesus, and i thought this incident couldn’t get any worse.

17 Likes

WTF… might be fired?

That asshole literally had ONE JOB to do!!!

23 Likes

I once called 911 (Toronto, over 30 years ago) about a woman screaming and being chased through backyards that I could see from my apartment window. The dispatcher said it was likely a hooker with an annoyed customer. Some of them are shit.

16 Likes

Thankfully based on the press conference at the link, it appears there were multiple 911 calls, so hopefully this didn’t have an immediately negative consequence, but Christ! I’ve had better customer service from utilities I was furious with for overcharging or other nonsense. And that wasn’t a matter of life and death.

11 Likes

The dispatcher should face criminal liability. Their negligence helped a mass-murderer kill 10 people.

10 Likes

Police union to the “rescue” again…

2 Likes

Apparently “handled inappropriately” and “contributing to the murder of 10 people” are the same thing.
Who knew?

1 Like

I can’t even imagine the horror of being in that situation, and then the people who are supposed to help not only refuse, but are snotty about it. I’ve heard other similar stories and this probably happens a lot, but we only heard about it in the rare high profile case.

To be fair, they can’t say the worker will be fired because they can’t just summarily fire the person regardless of what they do, it sounds like, because there’s a hearing process that needs to occur first - which is completely reasonable. Also what would be reasonable is that at the end of it, that person is out of there so fucking fast.

I think dispatch workers are part of an actual union, not a law enforcement “union.” Which makes it infinitely more likely there will be consequences.

2 Likes

I can’t even.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.