Smart 911 operator realizes a caller asking for a pizza is reporting domestic abuse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/22/smart-911-operator-realizes-a.html

16 Likes

Points to the operator for cluing in. Too many stories of those who would just hang up on the caller. Patience and intuition are good things.

69 Likes

This makes me so sad.

29 Likes

The caller was pretty smart herself. A shame this has to happen at all.

56 Likes

Good for the clever caller, good for the astute 911 operator who took the call, terrible that anyone should ever have to ‘code-switch’ a call for help.

57 Likes

argh. Wow, the only coverage was someplace that doesn’t know how to pronounce Oregon, strange.

OR-eh-gun.

5 Likes

Note: This would be the city of Oregon, Ohio, which is in Lucas County (which is where the suspect, Simon Lopez was lodged).

This would not be the State of Oregon. :wink:

21 Likes

Domestic violence is a primary driver in many PSAPs moving towards accepting Text to 911.

18 Likes

Dammit. I’m crying at work.

11 Likes

And occasionally OR-ee-gun for funsies.

Among friends. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve seen this as a Facebook meme, saying that all 911 operators are trained to understand this. Obviously not, but fortunately this operator was smart and kept with it.

9 Likes

Then I apologize for my snark. Makes much more sense. Thanks.

9 Likes

Both the caller and the dispatcher were very astute and I’m glad this worked out.

Totally OT, but I’m surprised the dispatcher is still working with an old style phone receiver he has to wedge against his ear with a shoulder. He’s got like 9 computer monitors, but nobody’s plunked for a $30 headset.

Or perhaps that’s just what he prefers to use, and he has to keep fending off the IT asset people who keep trying to replace his receiver with a newfangled headset he wants nothing to do with.

5 Likes

POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service, yes, that’s a very real acronym) systems have historically been among the most reliable voice communication systems available. There is nothing digital on a POTS handset that would make it crash or need to reboot, for example. They are still the system of choice for some smaller life-critical installations.

18 Likes

I’ve heard of this being a thing - so maybe they are trained on it? Though maybe it’s a urban legend grounded in some examples.

I just hope the cops keep the boyfriend away for good, I’d hate to learn he took his revenge out on the daughter now that the story has gone so public.

10 Likes

Something similar for 911?

11 Likes

i’m sure the ending is happIER for the 2 women involved, but i don’t know if i’d go so far as to say it was a fully-happy ending. i’m sure there’s still court dates and therapy sessions involved in the future, and who knows if either of them will ever really feel safe again.

5 Likes

Somebody is missing something, because this exact exchange was presented as a TV Public Service ad a few years ago. So did this woman copy the ad, or did the ad steal the 911 recording?

Did she ever get a pizza?

6 Likes