A 10-film trip through the "acid western"

how about Tampopo. Not set in the west, but western none the less.

5 Likes

Yes! “Tampopo” is a western because the hero wears a cowboy hat, and his truck has horns on it.

7 Likes

About 25 years ago I had borrowed a video projector for a project, and organized a private screening of El Topo. Most participants were thoroughly impressed, but a few truly hated it, and said it was absolutely the worst movie they had ever seen. They still mention that occasionally, 25 years after they saw it.

From what could piece together it made them uncomfortable, and that is not what they were looking for in a movie. I found that Svankmajer‘s Alice and The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb have the same effect on some people. I leave that here as an endorsement.

2 Likes

Guys: Bone Tomahawk, 2015.

2 Likes

You beat me to it, but then I was certain someone would.

I won tickets to that when it first came out. I hated it so much, I walked out halfway thru. Later on, it was on TV and a friend whose judgement I trusted said, nononono you HAVE to watch this! Turns out it is awesome.

4 Likes

A soup western, though.

1 Like

I remember when Tampopo first played locally, and the reviews played up the “western” angle.

But it was more than a cowbky hat.

It was about the hero riding into town, in a truck rather than horse, to save the day for the fair lady. The case was made that it did have the structure of a western, but maybe it was more traditional Japanese that had been used as the nasis of the western.

3 Likes

FearfulKindheartedCaterpillar-max-1mb

4 Likes

But that might actually be a ramen western.

5 Likes

Doesn’t Young Guns 2 have a hallucinogen sequence… :wink:

1 Like

Did you see the size of that chicken :interrobang:

Only one in the last 40 years?

1 Like

Definitely! 1000 percent - for whatever reasons studios decide to do such things, it was released as “Renegade” in the U.S. (probably because the Blueberry comics aren’t widely known here). Total hidden gem that one.

Would also nominate both Little Big Man and Zabriskie Point for inclusion in an extended version of this list.

No Grim Prairie Tales? Is that too much of a stretch? (There’s still no official English DVD of that one, is there? You can dazzle people with your indie cred after you watch it.)

Seems Rango has been the subject of some attention lately too, though I can’t say I remember much about it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.