A 40cm-square patch that renders you invisible to person-detecting AIs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/tee-of-invisibility.html

1 Like

I’ve kind of hoped that CV Dazzle clothing and makeup would become a popular fashion statement.

It’s a lot more attractive than a picture of a window on your abdomen.

11 Likes

hackers: we dazzle

government: this is your clothes now

6 Likes

The patch is 40cm by 40cm. So it’s a 1600cm square patch.

5 Likes

Apparently the patch just shows a picture of some old guy in a robe?

9 Likes

There are always thermal and gas detecting cameras to decloak even the best dressed.

2 Likes

The thing about “AIs” is that they are actually just complicated statistical analysis. Facts about the past predict the future right up until the point they don’t. Actual thinking things have an executive function that is on the lookout for new things that indicate that something has changed an we’ve got to bypass our established processes. With that we are far from perfect, without it AIs are super vulnerable to unexpected changes. The point that this makes them vulnerable to intentional malice is an important one. We should keep in mind that they are also vulnerable to mass failure due to unforeseeable events (looking at that patch, one wonders if all these AIs wouldn’t just fail completely in tie-dye shirts came back into fashion).

13 Likes

“What’s that?” she asked.
“The ugliest T-shirt in the world,” he said… “So ugly that digital cameras forget they’ve seen it.”

19 Likes

Here it explains how to use IR leds in a cap to project a pattern invisible to humans but which will be seen by the camera and fool the recognition software:

5 Likes

The area would be written as 1600 square centimeters, or 1600cm2. Describing it as a 40cm square is acceptable.

Welcome to BoingBoing! We have pedants!:grin:

20 Likes

18 Likes

Yeah, but I’m kind of with @jonmhansen just because of that hyphen. A 40cm square seems like clearly a square with a side-length of 40cm. But a 40cm-square patch is a lot more ambiguous.

All your pedants are belong to us.

17 Likes

It was once…

10 Likes

I wonder if you can fool them by wearing anything large on the front of your body, because I think a certain style from the late 80’s is ripe for reappraisal.
flavorflav2

9 Likes

That photo is awesome! Those are truly some worthy adversaries!

2 Likes

in the era of self-driving cars, this seems like a bad fashion choice for people, particularly pedestrians.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Countdown to when adversarial fashion becomes the norm rather than some fringe thing.

3 Likes

Ah - William Gibson’s “ugly shirt” from Zero History.

6 Likes

This is a poor paper. It’s a bold claim, but the evidence for this is paltry. They created their own model, and then showed that their model is not very robust.

This simply speaks more to their own model than it does to “person-detecting AIs” in general.

Google’s ML vision platform wasn’t fooled for a minute:

9 Likes