A 7-11 in Monterrey Mexico has a tree growing through it

Originally published at: A 7-11 in Monterrey Mexico has a tree growing through it | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m no arborist, but I feel like that’s going to cause some problems later.

7 Likes

How would they prevent water from coming into the building?
I’ve been in a fare share of buildings with an arboretum built in.
But those are either greenhouses or basically donut holes in the building where you’re technically outside.
This isn’t that and I just don’t see how they could prevent water intrusion and mold by allowing a living tree to pass through.

2 Likes

If you’re curious this is what the plaque says.

‘‘Se decidió mantener este nogal en el interior de la tienda para respetarlo, cuidarlo y motivar a que otras construcciones hagan lo mismo’’

''It was decided to keep this walnut tree inside the store to respect it, take care of it, and motivate other "

And here’s a view from the outside.

5 Likes

To motivate other trees?

2 Likes

Yeah the other trees just weren’t giving 110%

3 Likes

If being king of Ithaca ends up not working out for him this seems like the 7-11 for Odysseus to become manager of.

2 Likes

Good question. You’d need something to seal the roof without it being something that the tree would grow over, eventually damaging the tree. I suspect there’s probably not an easy “place it and forget it” option, but more likely something you’d have to adjust / maintain semi-regularly.

1 Like

The Office Pam GIF

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.