A 79-year-old woman is going to jail for feeding stray cats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/05/a-79-year-old-woman-is-going-t.html

1 Like

Oh, God! That’s me in 20 years.

14 Likes

What’s wrong with feeding stray cats? Screw the neighbors!

12 Likes

7 Likes

It’s worth noting that the county jail in question is a human rights nightmare. We’ve had a large number of deaths in the past year, beatings are common and the presence of the feds looking into it doesn’t seem to be making much difference.

28 Likes

So

This is what is wrong here. She is doing her best to make the life of these kitties better. But someone who actually hurts animals gets to walk free… fuck that.

Also someone should get a TNR (Trap Neuter Release) team there at the least. The kitties are most likely not house cats and would probably not do well indoors but at least get them fixed so they don’t become 20 kitties then 40 kitties, etc.

43 Likes

Nancy Segula (79) of Garfield Heights

This cannot be real.
It is probably a PR stunt to promote an incoming movie.

8 Likes

I wish someone would do something similar to the (otherwise perfectly nice neighbourly) people who feed the foxes round here. Apparently it’s not a crime, but shooting them is. (Not that I want or have a gun, and the foxes, obvs.)

Edit: after some research I am allowed to shoot them. Oh dear.

2 Likes

She should have kept her criminal activity to non-jailable offenses, like colluding with foreign powers to influence elections, or starting trade wars on Twitter.

39 Likes

Yeah cuyahoga county is fuuuccked, no one beyond cold blooded killers should be sent there, let alone little old ladies.

1 Like

This just depresses the hell out of me. The world is full of such ugly shit and when one person does a tiny little nice thing, they throw her in jail.

13 Likes

Isn’t this how Selina Kyle got started?

6 Likes

I don’t know… maybe that should just be a fine?

But we have to enforce individualism! We can’t have little old ladies running around feeding animals willy-nilly! Other people might start doing good deeds, and then where will we be! /s

17 Likes

Foxes are something that I would not feed. But I imagine they are good at keeping the rodent population down.

1 Like

We have a billion cats to do that, and they don’t steal rubbish and cover everything in shit.

3 Likes

They also tend to keep the kitty population down, so there is that…

10 Likes

That would be anarchy!

17 Likes

Sounds so dytopian! Who would want that! People helping each other! Phooey, I say! /s

12 Likes

My backyard was, apparently, a cat re-spawn point. I was seeing two to three litters a year.

With just two people (a neighbor and myself) being fairly diligent about the TNR thing, we reduced the number of new litters of kittens per year to 0

It’s been over two years since I saw a new cat in my backyard.

Putting old ladies in jail is NOT how you solve a feral cat problem.

32 Likes

It’s a tragedy that neighbour tattling leads to this while actual animal crimes go underreported and definitely under-prosecuted.

To add insult to injury, it’s also terrible public policy. Neutered/Spayed strays will carve out territory and push out other cats. This will reduce the overall cat population in an area over time, not increase it.

Feeding stray colonies is one of the best ways to stabilize cat populations, reduce fights for territory, etc.

22 Likes