A beautiful Wikipedia page shows major metabolic networks in a metro-style map

Originally published at: A beautiful Wikipedia page shows major metabolic networks in a metro-style map | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Pretty cool piece of web design as well, having divs carefully positioned over an .svg background so that they can all just be straight HTML links. Anybody know of a tool that facilitates this, or did the author just do a lot of nudging around on notepad++?

6 Likes

If you want the real thing, look at Roche’s two maps:
http://biochemical-pathways.com/

also available as huge printed posters.

12 Likes

I have this tattooed, in my DNA.

4 Likes

No transfers!

6 Likes

Holy shit!! That is HUGE!!! and strangely soothing. I may be busy for the next few days…

7 Likes

For all its complexity, it’s a reasonably-priced metro system. A ticket just costs 80p.

4 Likes

I had this (or one like it) as a poster on my wall during uni. Love it.

4 Likes

Chloroplast hence not only human

2 Likes

ATP is the preferred currency.

1 Like

And even that is a summary, and it’s more complex than is expressed on paper.

Tough to dance to, but it doesn’t mean people haven’t tried.
This chunk, choreographed:
The tan arrow only, going left to right, proteolysis would be a different dance.

3 Likes

Couldn’t you write a program that parses the svg file for certain tags, and writes out the appropriate divs? The SVG file has inkscape specific tags in in it, so maybe it’s all done within inkscape.

Inkscape runs at a glacial pace on my mac; I prefer Affinity Designer-- which can’t open up this file without misaligning everything.

2 Likes

Truly epic. The actual dance starts around 3:30, btw.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.