A Black student with a disability was suspended for "bringing a gun to school" for holding an airsoft pistol during remote learning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/12/a-black-student-with-a-disabil.html

5 Likes

America, where the school-to-prison pipeline now begins at home!

55 Likes

I was just about post “Another one???”; but it’s the same incident that was reported last week.

Still a damn shame.

22 Likes

Given everything we’ve witnessed in America over the past billion years, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CALL THE COPS ON A BLACK KID WHO HASN’T DONE ANYTHING ILEGAL!?!?!?!?

I want to scream. In all caps.

45 Likes

There’s only one kind of gun that poses any threat to those you see on-screen, and even that won’t let you shoot the dog for snickering whenever you miss a duck.

nintendo-light-gun

41 Likes

Because fox news told you that it’s not a real problem and that more white people are shot by cops? /s

Roger that.

:pensive:

30 Likes

While a 5 day suspension seems harsh, the sentiment doesn’t seem wrong.
I had a friend in high school 30:years ago that almost got shot by a cop while playing a cloak-and-dagger real-life RPG near a post office. This was because he had a plastic water pistol on him and was wearing a trench coat.
Seems overall better to have a “this is nor allowed” stance today virtually than have him be a possible shooting victim tomorrow in “meat space.” Until the US gets less guns on the streets, cops are understandably jumpy around anything that looks like a gun.

2 Likes

He wasn’t on the street.

It was clearly not a real gun.

He could have easily had the police come by and been shot.

48 Likes

(1) That’s not even true.

(2) KID WAS IN HIS OWN HOME WAVING NOT AN ACTUAL GUN.

42 Likes

Not sure if this violates BB policy, but if you want to leave the school a polite message…

10 Likes

When Karen Teaches Your Kids

8 Likes

Excuse me?! HE WAS IN HIS HOUSE, IT’S AN OBVIOUS TOY, AND HE WASN’T THREATENING ANYONE AT ALL!

36 Likes

Honestly, I’m just amazed he had his camera on. That just doesn’t happen with my students (middle schoolers). I can’t even tell if my students are in the same room as their Chromebooks, let alone what they’re fidgeting with.

9 Likes

Racist GOPers: if you don’t KnOw the difference between a ‘clip’ and ‘magazine’ you don’t get to have any opinions about guns.

Also racist GOPers: that bright green toy gun with a orange tip sure looks like a gun to me!

23 Likes

As noted, the kid was at home, not on the street. Still, you’re quite right. In USA, cops and civilians alike MUST assume that anyone not naked is armed, and any “suspicious” move MUST be countered – shoot first or die. That’s the consequence of 2nd Amendment fanaticism. Yikes.

11 Likes

Even a bright green, obviously fake gun?!

FFS

12 Likes

The jumpiness of US cops isn’t just because of guns on the streets- see also their penchant for shooting dogs at the slightest provocation.

17 Likes

I do not think this is a case of racism, it is a case of stupidity in the “zero tolerance” mindset of schools. Regardless of the color of the kid’s skin, we have seen these reactions from school administrators over any of these types of rules.

2 Likes

Wow; what a horrible, uninformed take.

It veered into racism when the teacher in question decided to call the cops rather than keeping the issue internal.

42 Likes

You don’t see a problem with a teacher calling the cops on a disabled child who comitted no crime?

Even ignoring the racism angle here that’s a fucking evil approach to education.

40 Likes