Teacher calls cops on 6-year-old with Down syndrome who pointed a finger gun at her

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/12/teacher-calls-cops-on-6-year-o.html

4 Likes

american-gods-mad-sweeny-gods

39 Likes

Good. How about creating a criminal record for the teacher for calling the cops for no reason?

50 Likes

Cops have pretty much been reduced to “White People’s Customer Complaint Personnel”

Why can’t all these Karen’s go back to asking to speak to the manager…

28 Likes

Let me guess: this teacher didn’t want Margot in her classroom from the get-go, and this was a mighty convenient way (she hoped) to get Margot out. For shame!

31 Likes

The best defense against a criminal 6-year old with Down syndrome with a finger gun is a good 6 year old with Down syndrome with a finger gun.

Now the school is left undefended.

28 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised? Unfortunately, most teachers who aren’t specially trained to work with kids with disabilities often don’t know how to effectively integrate them into the classroom community.

10 Likes

13 Likes

There’s a teacher in Shawnee Mission, KS, would could take this one’s place…

11 Likes

You might have a point. When people call the police because they are unhappy with the service at McDonalds, they get arrested.

4 Likes

Good thing the kid didn’t have a Pop-Tart.

8 Likes

I guess this teacher wasn’t equipped with the imaginary bulletproof riot shield. This just goes to show the state of proper funding for education in this country…

20 Likes

It seems that the way the policy was written, the teacher could get in trouble for not reporting it. This is why the parents are publicizing the incident - to get the policy changed to allow reporting to be done at the teacher’s/district’s discretion.

25 Likes

I know a few other hand gestures …

3 Likes

Are they trained in common sense, or… you know, how to be a decent human? Because that’s all it takes to avoid this situation. Utterly shameful.

2 Likes

This is an administration policy problem that the parents are pushing to get fixed. They don’t blame the teacher, but the policy is too rigid. More on the incident in this article:

25 Likes

Actually a LOT of funding for education in this country is imaginary.

22 Likes

The way I thought it worked, was for adults to ,Y’know, adult in front of children, for enough years for the kids to pick it up and become adults themselves.

But the wonderous thing about gun culture, is it doesn’t require adult behavior from anyone, just a show of force.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think we should underestimate how hard it is for public school teachers across the board. That’s not excuse for this kind of thing, but there is a deeper problem for both educators and students who are not getting what they need.

Gotcha.

17 Likes

I say, go ahead. Open the flood gates!
giphy

2 Likes