A Bluetooth tracker helped me find my wallet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/a-bluetooth-tracker-helped-me.html

2 Likes

Try keeping your wallet in your front pocket. It helps with back pain too. or as my doctor is increasing fond of saying “As your get older…”

7 Likes

It was in the front, but the pockets are too loose!

6 Likes

Cargo pants are a bitch amirite? :smile:

5 Likes

The iPhone Find My… feature will show the last known connected location of your AirPods and will let you make them beep loudly to announce their position. (Don’t do this while wearing them… OUCH)

2 Likes

For Android/Google: https://www.google.com/android/find

Have used more times than I can count. No help for wallets, however!

3 Likes

I managed to lose my wallet out of my front pocket on a bus. Some nice person turned it in, but after that I chained it to my belt.

2 Likes

Oh, Monos… nevermind…

5 Likes

I need something like that for the BluRay player remote.

2 Likes

Feline avatar for the win!

1 Like

I have thought of doing this myself with tile.

Like you, I had a wallet from Japan, but it was an antique Indian Motorcycle trucker wallet from the 1940s or so, picked it up with a friend in a Sapporo thrift shop when I was living there about a decade ago.

I was on a ride to the Finger Lakes last year on my BMW R90, and rode up at night- somehow along the way the wallet came out of my pocket at speed or something.

I didn’t notice until the next day when I woke up, since I rode mostly at night. I spent the entire next day riding hundreds of miles backwards staring at side of the road looking for a wallet that was rare and irreplaceable.

I never found it, and likely never will, so I replaced it with a Ryan The Anvil custom trucker wallet, and a 2’ stainless byzantine weave chainmaile chain from Michiganmaile on etsy. Now my wallet is chained to my pants and impossible to lose, and looks badass doing so.

1 Like

I get it for the wallet, but the AirPod case? I mean, functionally I understand, but it feels weird to add this as a hardware kludge to a device that already contains its own wireless digital radio. Should be a software feature.

1 Like

I got one of these free with an HTC phone I bought a few years back. I put it on my keys, but at some point the cheap metal ring that attached it to the keychain must have bent and the Tile slipped off.

Still got the keys, never did find that Tile…

2 Likes

If only there was something you could have attached to your Tile to help you find it.

8 Likes

Not crazy about the privacy issues on running the app. Tile has a complete record of where you’ve been. OK, so far, but we’ve seen similar stories go south before. Slippery slope.

3 Likes

… The hands of fate?

:yum:

1 Like

I bought a bunch of Tiles (with replaceable batteries). For the AirPods case I got a generic case with a carabiner to attach a Tile https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072V2BBX8/ For the Kindle I just adhered one to the back.

2 Likes

I fitted one to a new bike after after my trusty Cannondale F900 was stolen.

My new bike was subsequently stolen but was recovered after the Tile was activated.
My Cannondale was also there along with approx. 10 other bikes.

I have one on most of my easily lost items now and bought some for my family too.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. This looks good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.