A book about Theo Jansen's amazing wind-powered creatures

[Read the post]

1 Like

I’ve always thought that Jansen’s work reminds me of the Terry Dowling fantasy series. Where aboriginal Australians (the Ab’O) become the most powerful human faction. Wormwood is a sweet collection of short stories not all set in the Tom Tyson world. Very lovely poetic stuff, I met him in SF with his good friend Jack Vance at Borderlands bookstore (great place).

Would love to see one of these in action!

Another good book is Lena Herzog’s Strandbeest: The Dream Machines of Theo Jansen which is crazy cheap right now on Amazon. And folks in the northeast who don’t know already, the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem MA has a great exhibit of beests up right now. Some pix from my visit are here.

1 Like

Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA has an exhibition of Jansen’s Strandbeests until January 3, 2016: http://pem.org/sites/strandbeest/

Saw the beests walk in Boston City Hall Plaza a few weeks ago and heard Jansen speak at MIT Media Lab last week. Great crowds at both. Plan to go to the exhibition as well.

A friend’s young daughter even got to participate in Jansen’s hackathon at the Museum last weekend. Lucky girl.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.