A build-your-own casket kit

nonmetallic nails?

2 Likes

I caught the end of a little TV documentary some time back on coffin clubs here in NZ, basically groups of people with know-how helping others build there own coffin. I didn’t see it all but it was surprisingly uplifting!

1 Like

A bag of quicklime and a roll of old carpet.
And a spade, obviously.

1 Like

Seriously, though - couple of weeks ago I had an on-site meeting at an undertaker’s with their architect do discuss some modifications to bring the building up to code.

They used to build caskets in their own carpentry shop, but these days they assemble them from kits which are very much like IKEA flatpacks. Not that surprising when you think about it; after all a box is a box is a box.
(This particular undertaker’s also has ‘alternative’ and ‘designer’ lines of coffins. They will also mod caskets to customer’s specifications. A couple of years they had a coffin on display in their window that can only be described as a Star Trek photon torpedo, in glossy white.)

SInce when was this about a metal free casket anyway? I was talking about pine caskets but you want to make it about metal free. The casket I linked is metal free and unlike this thread, tool free.

The one I linked is also metal free. But OK. You want to spend $600 to build your own wooden box, I’m not going to stop you. I’m just not going to ooo and ahh over this little bit of silliness.

Non-leaky? Why? What are you thinking is going to happen here? BTW, the one I linked can be made with just a saw, tape measure, and a pencil. But you go whip out that CNC machine so you can justify the price.

When did this goalpost show up anyway? I had never once mentioned metal free. Sure, the one I linked was metal free. I’ve been talking about building your own for less than the silly over inflated price of the article casket. The one in this article has screws. Screws are metal. You then have to remove the screws if you want it metal free and for less than half that price you can get one with no metal at all so drop this pointless pretend goal post and move on. Hell, take my parts list and replace nail with liquid nails. No metal. Done. Happy?
Believe it or not, there aren’t as many people wanting to be planted in a preservation cemetery as you might think

The original post is about a metal-free, attractive, affordable casket that can be assembled with no special tools, at home that is possible to inter with no metal (as is required by some areas, presumably). Those are the goalposts.

In metal-free construction, screws are often used as clamping devices to hold together pieces that will be largely held together by glue (in a lot of furniture construction, this is largely the function of screws, but they aren’t removed because it’s not worth the time and isn’t really one of the goals, like it is here).

I’ve got to assume you’re joking about liquid nails replacing regular nails.

I don’t really see what that has to do with one thing or another? Plenty of people will take a more environmentally conscious choice even if it’s of the smallest impact. I don’t see how sales figures fit into this at all.

1 Like

Are you suggesting a handful of nails buried in the ground will have a negative impact on the planet? Will they turn frogs gay?

This kit is a huge rip off despite what you might say about CNC and amazing design requirements. Let’s not pretend It’s anything other than a pine box for dead people to rot away in. The death industry has been fooling bereaved people in to paying too much for the privilege of being dead for longer than I’ve been alive. This thing is just another spin on that trend. With that, you can have the last word.

You could say the same thing about a plastic grocery bag: by themselves, it’s an incredibly small difference that probably has no change at all on the grand scale. The difference is that dying is something most people do only once, so even though their actions have even less effect due to frequency, there’s usually a lot more thought put into it, since it’s a pretty significant life event.

Again, I’m not saying this is a bargain deal, but given what it is, I don’t think it’s quite as exploitative as you’re painting it, given the standard caveat:

Obligatory:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.