A "buttload" is apparently a formal unit of imperial measurement

Wutur, presumably.

12 Likes

This is still a matter for debate, although it is known that one Lamprey (avoirdupois) = 3 Peaches (apothecaries’).

Most scholars agree, though, that it’s a firkin lot.

9 Likes

So I did this:

And learned a tun, a butt load, and lots more I can’t remember, got to be involved in the production of 150,000 Liters of finest single malt. What great time. It ruined me, now my standards for fine whiskey are broken. I had to give up drinking it unless I am in British parts :confused:

My favored Butts are in bonded warehouses near here:

Also, when in former Roman lands, drink everything in sight. Like gin? “The Botanist” the singular “Ugly Betty” gin box and local herbs and traditions produce a quality dram.

A tun of fun, wish I had a butt of the stuff, given, gin isn’t aged in wood, eh? Had much brown gin?

5 Likes

Of wort?

3 Likes

I learned a number of these odd units of measure from “The Music Man”, but there was no mention of butt.

2nd Salesman
Cash for the noggins and the piggins and the firkins

3rd Salesman
Cash for the hogshead, cask and demijohn

3 Likes

A “buttload” is apparently a formal unit of imperial measurement

Umm, no.

A “butt” is a formal unit of measurement.

“A buttload” is not a formal unit of measurement, it just means “a large number.”

It’s a euphemism for “a shitload”, and is unrelated to the barrel size.

2 Likes

Just now learning about the butt measurement?! Where have you guys been? Next thing you will be saying you are surprised to learn that an ass hat was an actual Renaissance Italian article of clothing

3 Likes

Is this where the term “Boston Butt” for pork (pork Butt, actually Pork Shoulder) came from? Presuming those cuts were stored in salted barrels back in the day?

Yes, it appears it may have been:

New England butchers tended to take less prized cuts of pork like hams and shoulders and pack them into barrels for storage and transport, known as a butt, which comes from the Latin word “Buttis” meaning cask or barrel. This particular shoulder cut became known around the country as a Boston specialty, and hence it became the “Boston butt”.

7 Likes

Let’s just check with the ultimate authority, namely any unix’y “units” program. There’re two distinct ‘butts’ in this context, a “wine butt” and a “british beer butt”:

units winebutt
Definition: 2 winehogshead = 0.4769594 m^3
units brbeerbutt
Definition: 2 brbeerhogshead = 0.49097772 m^3

don’t have to mention that 1000 times m^3 is liters…? nah. And to address the very next fine comment: units ‘40 rods/hogshead’ miles/gallon => 0.001984127

3 Likes

10 Likes

I sense a connection to colonoscopy.

Just one.

12 Likes

metric… Dont be ridiculous.

4 Likes

Back in the early 70’s, when I did a bit of cheap post-college travel around Spain, we carried bota bags, which is the familiar goat skin bag which could be refilled with cheap wine from casks at the many local wineries in nearly every town.
Image 8-24-20 at 5.45 PM

8 Likes

I’d take that with a grain of salt.

4 Likes

Would there be an English Shit Tun then? :thinking:

Ohhhh, I get it, it’s a butt joke.

Nuthin’ beatz a 'murcan butt ton.

2 Likes

Now I know how much volume a hogshead takes up, those giantish appetites in the Jack 's fairy tales seem that much more impressive.

2 Likes

When I found this image, I was certain it might come in handy for some kind of D&D campaign!

1 Like