Funny video of conservative pundits awkwardly criticizing the metric system

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/10/funny-video-of-conservative-pu.html

13 Likes

Is Carlson doing this with a wink, or is this his version of O’Reilly’s “tide goes in, tide goes out…” insanity that seems too dumb to be genuine but was, in fact, genuine.

A line like “Robespierre’s favorite system of measurement” has to be tongue in cheek, doesn’t it? Doesn’t it?

25 Likes

I had to stop at “…global tyranny of the metric system…”

Morons.

32 Likes

Carlson is playing a character which gets views and likes. But he’s done it so long he probably believes most of his bullshit.

20 Likes

I often wonder whats worse:

-The US’s use of the imperial system

-The UK’s use of the imperial and metric systems at the same time

Fun fact, i refer to distances in mm, cm, m then miles** internally because of this, ARGH

**All road signs are in miles here
(Yards too, but they never made sense to me, just too silly a unit)

17 Likes

imglip-com-tucker-mode-activated-21038371

18 Likes

I guess when your income is based on saying crazy stuff on TV, eventually you’re going to hit the bottom of the crazy barrel.

22 Likes

I’ve never liked the pronunciation of kilometer that Tucker used at the end. If you say kilogram with a long o (kill-oh-gram), then you should say kilometer with a long o (kill-oh-meter).

5 Likes

Back in the 90s Seattle King Radio morning show did an April fools Joke where they announced the united states was going over to the Metric Time system. Their producer who was Canadian was all Oh yea we have been using metric time for years and its great.

17 Likes

Despite this being in reference to standards, the English language has always been really terrible at maintaining anything like consistency.

14 Likes

‘I arst you civil enough, didn’t I?’ said the old man, straightening his shoulders pugnaciously. 'You telling me you ain’t got a pint mug in the ‘ole bleeding boozer?’

‘And what in hell’s name is a pint?’ said the barman, leaning forward with the tips of his fingers on the counter.

'Ark at 'im! Calls 'isself a barman and don’t know what a pint is! Why, a pint’s the 'alf of a quart, and there’s four quarts to the gallon. ‘Ave to teach you the A, B, C next.’

'Never heard of ‘em,’ said the barman shortly. 'Litre and half litre – that’s all we serve. There’s the glasses on the shelf in front of you.

‘I likes a pint,’ persisted the old man. 'You could 'a drawed me off a pint easy enough. We didn’t ‘ave these bleeding litres when I was a young man.’

‘When you were a young man we were all living in the treetops,’ said the barman, with a glance at the other customers.

There was a shout of laughter, and the uneasiness caused by Winston’s entry seemed to disappear. The old man’s whitestubbled face had flushed pink. He turned away, muttering to himself, and bumped into Winston. Winston caught him gently by the arm.

"E could ‘a drawed me off a pint,’ grumbled the old man as he settled down behind a glass. 'A 'alf litre ain’t enough. It don’t satisfy. And a ‘ole litre’s too much. It starts my bladder running. Let alone the price.’

George Orwell, 1984

34 Likes

I weep for … so many reasons.

6 Likes

Goddamn, these people are complete morons.

14 Likes

Metropolis has it…

French Revolutionary calendar had 10 months.

24 Likes

Could this explain why the other day when Nigel Farage got milkshaked he said “you should have spotted that a mile away”?

I was wondering about that.

Seemed to me British would say “you should have spotted that a kilometer way” or something.

2 Likes

All the intellectual content of a three year old stamping his feet and saying “no I don’t wanna”.

8 Likes
5 Likes

How odd that they’re decrying something because it rose out of political revolution. Doesn’t Carlson regularly make arguments citing the virtue of our rather rebellious founding fathers? In fact I take his awkward pauses to likely be born of some internal confusion on this point, while not wanting to disagree with his whack-a-doodle guest.

19 Likes

What won’t Tucker Carlson go to war against?

4 Likes

We still have miles. And pints.
That’s about it I think.

2 Likes