Ingenious ruler design unites metric and imperial measurements

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/02/ingenious-ruler-design-unites.html

10 Likes
4 Likes

I have to call attention to the fact that this is an abomination.

No, not the ruler. That’s kind of funny.

I refer instead to pronouncing schism as “shizum”. shudder

8 Likes

That’s the imperial pronunciation.

19 Likes

I noticed that too… shudder
Also the ruler. Fun / funny as, i don’t know, an art piece or desk decoration to mess with people?
Otherwise painful for anyone of any persuasion of units to actually use.

3 Likes

WTF? The English inch measuring system of fractional powers of two makes sense, even if this guy doesn’t understand the logic behind it.

Perhaps he needs to study some maths.

3 Likes

I think you are a day late posting this…

8 Likes

Hint: Check date the video was uploaded.

8 Likes

Mmm, kind of. It makes sense within itself, but is applicable nowhere else. To wit, 1 gallon= 236 cu inches while 1 liter= 1000 cubic centimeters= 1 kilo water. And they’re all base-10 instead of being all over the map. Quick, how many inches in a mile? How many meters in a kilometer? How many gallons in a cubic yard? How many liters in a cubic meter?

6 Likes

They’re only complicated if you are bad at math.

Metric is founded on the flawed base-10 hegemony that pervades society. Why build your number system around the normative number of fingers, when you can build it around a superior number? Dozenalism forever!

9 Likes

Base-60 has roots in Babylon. This is why seconds, minutes.

10 Likes

You’re wrong here. Octal is the best base.

6 Likes

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know that base-2 is the best base, and those who are wrong.

8 Likes

Pfft. Maybe if you’re a d8.

1 Like

Octal is nice, but it lacks some features which base-12 has. From Wikipedia’s page on duodecimal*:

* Duodecimal is a morally inferior synonmyn for dozenal, because the word is still enslaved to decimalism.

6 Likes

Chindogu AF.

2 Likes

This reminds me of one of my favourite Star Wars jokes/observations.
We’re told that the Death Star’s vulnerable spot is “only two meters wide. It’s a small thermal exhaust port…”
Hang on - two meters? That’s funny, you’d expect the builders would use the imperial system…

My coat, I will get

17 Likes

Mispronunciation? Why if this catches on it could lead to utter chaos!

4 Likes

Bah. Inches and feet are useful, everyday measurements. Centimeters are too short and meters are too long, and you should just be using yards for meters anyway.

You forget imperial has a base ten measurement - 100 yards = 1 football field (American football, dammit).

1 gallon = 1 gallon. I don’t know/care how many cu inches are in a gallon and you don’t either. 1 mile = 1 mile, and if I want to know how a measurement in miles breaks down to INCHES(?!) believe me I’m getting out the calculator anyway.

Don’t even get me started on the patently obvious superiority of Fahrenheit over Celsius.

5 Likes
  • Those who think I’m talking about base two
  • Those who think I’m talking about base ten
  • All the rest
8 Likes