Ingenious ruler design unites metric and imperial measurements

Base 30 is superior, as it is the sum product of consecutive primes without unnecessary duplication.

(Sorry about letting the side down, @Bunbain)

2 Likes

The only imperial measurement that is more convenient in an everyday sense than its metric counterpart is temperature. Saying “10 centimeters” instead of “4 inches” isn’t that hard. I’m sure for the centi-fetishists, basing a temperature scale on the freezing and boiling points of water makes perfect sense. But we don’t live in water. Fahrenheit works much better for things that live in air. Fahrenheit is more precise, and more practical, unless you’re in a lab.

Everyone should check out the rest of Matthias’s videos. Like, right now.

2 Likes

FTFY, no sarcasm, and I do agree with you (very partial to the number 5)

3 Likes

“in this sort of warfare, no quarter is asked nor given”

3 Likes

SI units or bust.

5 Likes

I do, actually. I know that from memory because I convert volumetric liquids daily for TTB reporting. I wouldn’t have to if the US standardized metric.

4 Likes

And the only thing that makes Fahrenheit “better” than Celsius is that the increments are smaller, but that’s why there are decimals folks. There is a reason that metric is standardized around one of the most abundant materials on earth. 0°-100° makes much more sense than 32°-212° (also figures I have to mentally convert daily).

3 Likes

Fahrenheit is, in fact, based on 0 - 100. 0 being a very cold day to 100 being an very hot day. It far more accurately approximates general temperature ranges that people actually experience than Celsius, were the equivalent range is something like -18 to 38, which is just silly.

Celsius is nice if you choose to organize your life around freezing and boiling water. Outside of that, there’s not really any practical application.

3 Likes

Yes, but dividing a meter into thirds when measuring out, say, cabinetry, is actually impossible.

3 Likes

I think you’re missing the point of standardization. It’s not about someone’s highly fungible perception of “balmy”, but something that can be replicated (with known variances) literally anywhere on the planet with incredibly rudimentary equipment. The cross-standardization of units allows for not just convenience, but verification. Every single defense of SI is based on convenience due to a learned system, not because it’s inherently more convenient.

3 Likes

That said, I have a particular fondness for simple prime series multiples (2, 6, 30, 210), but it turns out that they don’t actually align with the anti-primes:

1 Like

Where “everywhere in the planet” is exactly at sea level.

That’s why I mentioned variances. Knowing your elevation will allow you to offset the discrepancy. And again, interoperability between volume, weight and length will allow you to verify.

1 Like

I 100% understand the point. I just don’t care about it. I’d rather have a system in place that makes sense for day-to-day life. Fahrenheit is good for weather reports, which we consume every day, so I’m glad they’re expressed in Fahrenheit units.

I just disagree across the board that SI is more convenient for day to day life. Sorry. People don’t spend their days converting units. They work with a small handful of discreet measurements, and imperial measures tend to be more immediately convenient.

I totally accept that people in technical fields like scientists and engineers ought to use SI units, but the good news in the US is many of them do. The best of both worlds.

But if you had grown up using metric, it would be more convenient. I know I’m making assumptions about you here, but unless you’re from literally anywhere other than the USA, Myanmar or Liberia you would have used metric.

And yes, I know that certain nations use mixed units (miles for distance and liters for petrol in UK for instance). That’s just a whole other level of crazy.

ETA: I also want to make clear that I’m not knocking your preference. It doesn’t bother me in the least. What bothers me is the US insistence on all official business be conducted in Imperial and the impact it has on a temendous number of fields and the added expense and mistakes that it engenders.

5 Likes

If you reduce imperial measures to the smallest unit, they get all whole numbery, no fractions required:

Unit twips

twip 1

point 20

line (poppy seed) 120

pica 240

barleycorn 480

digit 1080

inch 1440

stick 2880

nail 3240

palm 4320

hand 5760

shaftment 8640

span 12,960

foot 17,280

cubit 25,920

pace 43,200

yard 51,840

ell 64,800

step 86,400

fathom 103,680

rod 285,120

rope 345,600

Gunter’s chain 1,140,480

Shackle 1,555,200

Ramsden’s chain 1,728,000

Skein 6,220,800

Cable 10,368,000

Furlong 11,404,800

Roman Mile 86,400,000

Mile 91,238,400

Nautical Mile 103,680,000

Spindle 746,496,000

8 Likes

You probably don’t like tea, either.

5 Likes

The only proper number system is the primorial number system.

5 Likes

I was raised using both systems but my sense of temperature is one that fell to the metric side. I literally have no idea what to wear after hearing the temperature in Fahrenheit. Conversely I have no idea how much someone who is 100 kilos weighs.

7 Likes

oh yeah. I get metrics, but Celsius is just arbitrary. Why base it on water? Fahrenheit is a metric scale too. but it’s based on something that makes human sense. 100 degrees is too damn hot and 0 is too damn cold and we can pretty much live between those two and feel the numbers.

1 Like