A "buttload" is apparently a formal unit of imperial measurement

:rofl:

Uh, isn’t that a firkin? I’m soo confused. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The Barrel Brothers!

1 Like

Russian language has also a likely related ancient volume measure called bochka. It slightly sounds like butt and its volume is also nearly the same.

1 bochka = 491.96 liters
1 butt = 108 Imperial gallons = 490.97772 liters

One fun thing is also that 1 bochka = 40 vedro. 1 vedro = 12.299 liters. Vedro means a bucket but at some point it wasn’t meaning just any bucket but a water bucket. And the ancient version of vedro also means water.

And this was derived to my language (Finnish) in which one word for water is vettä (a bucket of water = ämpärillinen vettä).

But we didn’t have any butt sized volume units. Our country’s Finnish speaking population was so poor that no-one was able to afford anything in that high volumes. Our largest volume unit was aami and the second largest tynnyri (barrel) with several separate definitions. Tynnyri is still used for a barrel as an object. Tynnyri was an import measure as it was used for alcohol.

1 aami = 157.03 liters.
1 tynnyri = 125.63 liters (liquids) = 164.88 or 146.5 liters (dry stuff, different volume in different regions)

11 Likes

Well, definitely does not mean boot in Italian. The word for boot is “stivale”. “Botte” is its own word, and comes from the late Latin “buttis” (small jar).

2 Likes

I know they mentioned Botte in the article but from memory i thought it was Italian. Darn my laziness :stuck_out_tongue: you get the gist though!

It might not be a direct answer to this:

But it seems to be 1 shit-tun = 2 butt loads = 504 piss pots.

4 Likes

I was wondering if anyone could remind me of the conversion factor for fuck-ton to metric shitload; my wife threw out my old CRC Handbook.

5 Likes

I still have my invaluable Dosco Steel Co. conversion booklet. I can never remember how many square links in an arpent.

8 Likes

Have you no scruples, Sir?

6 Likes

Same thing here. Reading is a hell of a drug. You learn so much and then you forget it.

4 Likes

I don’t think the butt of sherry was a yearly thing: I think you get it as a farewell when you left the post. But I hadn’t done the maths, and would be quite a bit per day. Li Po could probably have finished his 1.6 bottles for breakfast. John Skelton might have kept pace. But I can’t see John Betjeman quaffing with the bros like that.

1 Like

Halibut, Turbot?

Add in sackbut(t) for more confusion.

And a bit of Othello
“Here is my journey’s end, here is my butt”

2 Likes

Butt her emails.

SCNR.

1 Like

You must be great fun at parties.

2 Likes

Why does no one ever glaze barrels?

Because it’s a pane in the butt.

(I’ll see myself out.)

6 Likes

This probably refers to archery butts, the end of an arrow’s journey.

5 Likes

Just butt out of the entire conversation. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Precisely.

It’s half of a metric assload.

1 Like