A clever "flat-pack" coat-rack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/23/piano-coat-rack.html

2 Likes

Clever and great-looking, but it doesn’t really save space over a traditional wall coat rack. Once you have one thing hanging, the space in front of the whole rack is effectively fully occupied, in the sense that you can’t really use it for anything else.

3 Likes

I’ll wait for the eventual Ikea knock- off lite version of it

2 Likes

Huh. I could probably build that. I do imagine it’s fairly labor intensive though.

Hmm, I don’t think it would be. It’s all straight angles and flat surfaces so sanding and cutting would be straightforward. But I would want to make sure the pegs and the bar it pivots on is sturdy, beyond that I don’t think this would be a challenging build.

Wøllrakke

7 Likes

I’ve seen it on the IMM in Cologne (International furniture fair), and it is a great piece, very well made. It opens and closes it’s parts without any sound at all, everything is soft close and dampened, so it is a lot of work to get it done at that level. But of course you can build that for yourself, but that is what design is: Create the idea and build it, even if it is simple. But i agree, this one is a little bit on the expensive side :smile:

6 Likes

When the couple next door put their home on the market one of the big selling points they listed was a “European style” coat rack. WTF?

When the couple after them listed the same house a few years later one of the big selling points was a duck pond, complete with pet ducks. We hear them all hours over there quacking up.

2 Likes

First thought: Who needs to hang 48 items on a coat-rack? What am I, the opera? Second thought: Supposing you did, wouldn’t that just rip the thing right out of the wall?

4 Likes

I think it’s more about being able to unfold a peg wherever you want it, not about using them all at once.

2 Likes

If you can afford $4100 for a coat rack, you can afford a structural wall to hang it.

6 Likes

I can see making a version of this from tubular steel with a square or rectangular cross-section.

I think the word I was looking for was repetitive. Also I have a fairly
limited set of tools.

@doctorow
If it’s beyond your budget, I’m sure @frauenfelder would MAKE one for you.

2 Likes

I like the style, but the price is crazy. I have something similar in my apartment’s entryway. While not quite as classy as this one it a very similar wood motif with the pull out slats, it only has 5 that pull out in a single row, it’s great for when friends come over and I don’t feel like I’m going to poke my eye out somehow in my narrow hallway when they’re not in use and pushed back into place. I think mine was a $30 Umbra I picked up on Amazon. If you like the design, but want something a little smaller check them out.

1 Like

You can always make your own. :slight_smile:

another version:

There is a coat rack based on the same concept, but with a different design esthetic at The Container Store for $24.99

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.