A collection of Laurie Anderson videos from the 80s-90s

Originally published at: A collection of Laurie Anderson videos from the 80s-90s | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Agreed!

14 Likes

And just to be clear, her great work didn’t stop in the 90s!

For example, I love this 2015 movie:

15 Likes

Ouch, Really bad digitization there. I have this tape I should probably do this in 1080p and preserve the tape better.

6 Likes

Darn it. Now I’m going to have Strange Angels stuck in my head for the next week.

1 Like

Well, there went 50 minutes and I want even more!

Yeah what’s up with that? It looks like they tried to re-record it from VHS to mini-DV and then onto the computer. There are probably better ways.

2 Likes

I have a setup for recovering VHS, a late model that has HDMI that digitizes the tape before it leaves the deck and I can capture it already in progressive scan 1080. It does a really decent job. I do have the original collected videos tape and I should break it out and put it up on Archive.org or such.

I may have Home of the Brave as well.

Really my deepest regret is lending my Alive From Off Center tape and never got it back.

6 Likes

The last couple of albums I got by her are great… Songs from the Bardo:

And Landfall with Kronos Quartet…

And she did a Tiny Desk concert during the pandemic…

Avant Garde 80S GIF by Laurie Anderson

And HOLY CRAP HERE SHE IS COVERING SCOTT WALKER…

mood GIF

9 Likes

I think I still have a copy of the Puppet Motel CD-Rom, but not sure if there’s a way to run it any more.

1 Like

I’ve hoped for so long to see footage from her United States Parts I to IV show. I was fortunate to see the show in Los Angeles, when I was around 18. It was fantastic, and she must have documented some of the performances. I think I heard or imagined that she didn’t think the quality of the footage was good enough, kind of like Pink Floyd sitting on the footage from The Wall concerts.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Whoah! This exists!

Thanks for the find.

That uh, jerks the handle as it were.

5 Likes

The link in the story seems to be broken?

But apart from that, I shall always live by her words of wisdom about Paradise.

1 Like

I was volunteering at Telluride Film Festival when they screened this film there, and one day I saw her on the street and had a whole fanboy reacc. I was too shy and awestruck to approach and talk though.

1 Like

When was it staged in Los Angeles? I would have loved to see that.

I particularly love the idea that singing along to her music on the radio would cause one to just go berserk.

There are a couple of Laurie Anderson PSA videos on YouTube. I don’t know when the were made or the context but they’re delightfully odd…

3 Likes

She was great at that. And it makes a good point, though I was left thinking…

Drama Do Both GIF by Famous in Love

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.